Buyer wrong postcode on eBay. parcel returned. Can I deduct shipping from refund?

PostcodeGuy
New Community Member

My buyer had the wrong postcode on both eBay and PayPal accounts. I shipped via CollectPlus who returned the parcel to me because they couldn't deliver, though the rest of the address was correct. Buyer refuses to pay additional shipping and wants a refund. Am I within rights to withhold shipping costs?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PostcodeGuy

Not really, if the buyer opens a dispute for non receipt of item then if you can't provide tracking that proves delivery of the item to the buyer paypal will tell you to give them a full refund.

As the buyer paid the shipping costs in the first place then why would you withhold them? You have the item back and he paid for the item to be sent.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

_newt_
Contributor
Contributor

I guess the issue is, if you give a full refund, you are out of pocket the shipping costs. You already spent the postage money, on the postage, and for nothing. It really doesnt seem fair but im not sure there is alot you can do about it im afraid. I guess you just gotta learn from it, and make sure you varify your buyers addresses in the future 🙂

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.