paypal abuse of people with limited mental capacity

2732andy
New Community Member

Just think you should all know about what they've done to my lad. He has learning difficulties but loves playing computer games and therefore buying stuff for them via paypal. He has got himself into difficulties owing to having several accounts, some of which he has bounced money around and lost track of. As parents we have tried to help out by offering to pay the charges but paypal hide behind ' it's data protection' ( somewhat like all the idiots do with'elf and safety'. they refuse to talk to us even with my lad asking them to allow this. They have hung up on me whilst trying to help the situation, and point blank refuse to assist in resolving the matter. They even complained to my lad that the accounts he was telling them he had were 'not correct' . How does someone with difficulties process that, he knows those accounts are correct and there is someone who should be trying to help, telling him he's wrong ina very stroppy manner. They even had the cheek to tell him he should only have one account. So how come he CAN have 5 or 6? Why do they let that happen? We've spoken to them many times so they SHOULD note he has issues, but they just keep hounding him and threatening recovery  action. And yet when I try to pay they hang up. How daft is that. That's not what data protection is about. Latest issue is they have sent the 'debt' to a recovery agency in spite of a lengthy email explaining where all this is going wrong. Not only is this scary to someone with his issues it is uneccessary considering they are 90% at fault and I have been trying to settle the matter. This recovery action will stay on his name and possibly our house for 6 years. The worst thing is the amount they want s exactly what my lad told them about in the last conversation when they said 'not that one'

I am considering legal action myself, anyone had any similar issues?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@2732andy 

You are only allowed a maximum of 2 paypal accounts, x1 personal and x1 business.

I think if your son has mental health issues then you should be supervising his online useage a tad more.

I don't think its paypals responsibility to monitor the millions of folk worldwide that may have mental health issues.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Lbean-8
New Community Member
I don't think that is what he is saying about his sons accounts. First of all, thanks for verifying how many accounts you're "allowed" to have. But it's apparent that those rules aren't always adhered by,and there are ways of getting around them. This concerned, and obviously frustrated father is saying that his child has Learning disabilities. He had admitted to his faults, and is trying to solve the issues at hand so that everyone is happy with the outcome. Apparently, from what he is saying, customer support has not been supportive of these issues and of them wanting to resolve them in a timely manner. It sounds like they're being put off so that the account(s) in his sons name become worse and worse,until legal action can be taken. And that my friend is not ethical. This isn't about wanting paypal to monitor every account daily. But, there should be something in place, to protect us also as clients of this service,that would stop anyone from "misusing" the system. I think that what you have here is a frustrated parent who is trying with his all to protect and help his child while also trying to allow that child some freedom to make his own choices,and mistakes. Because we need those experiences to learn and grow as people. And for a parent who has a child with any type of disability; I know personally, it is extremely difficult to allow your child that "inch". Because all you want to do is hold them in your arms and protect them from every little bad thing that comes their way. Unfortunately, we cannot do this. Hence, we then sometimes find ourselves in these types of situations. All this father wants to do, and the son from what it seems like, is make good on whatever mistakes have been made. And unfortunately, they haven't been able to do that, due to customer service and their "policies" standing in their way. It seems like a situation that can be easily resolved, IF one side would just compromise and cooperate with the other. People.. Life's too short! When someone wants to make good on something they've made a mistake on, my Gawd, let them. Because they are 1 in a million! Best of luck to you both!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.