SubscribeStar deplatformed?

Dev56
Contributor
Contributor
Has paypal given any explanation why they did this? I love paypal's efficient payment processing but I have ethical concerns about politically motivated censorship.
Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dev56

Ask them, personally who they choose to do business with in my opinion is up to them.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DaveTN

Paypal is doing business on my behalf using my money so when they ban anyone I wish to support based on political pressure or for any other reason it is my business!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DaveTN

As I said, its my personal opinion and I couldn't care less who they do business with.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AnthonyLopez
Contributor
Contributor

Commenting here is pointless. PayPal is big. They will want to compete against other payment processors. When other payment processors harbor "hateful" users, they will use that to their advantage. People want to feel safe because safety is more important than freedom. I believe freedom is more important than safety, but their PR is on the line. Hope these membership platforms find a payment processor and compete the bigger membership platform out of their position. Until then, complaining about it here won't solve anything. Go redirect your energies where they matter the most.

Login to Me Too

Dev56
Contributor
Contributor
I don't expect commenting here to do anything. I just want to hear them explain themselves or know if they have done so. I don't think there's any real market threat to paypal here. If there is some competing platform that believes in free speech and thought, well refer me to them so I can sign up. Subscribe Start isn't even a hateful platform. It's not even an amoral platform. They have anti-hate speech policies. It seems like they just want Patreon to be a monopoly, which is extremely irresponsible behavior for a corporation this size.
Login to Me Too

DaveTN

It is important to speak up. 

Login to Me Too

wschlueter
New Community Member

I am very concerned about the use of PayPal by political figures to (in any way) censor anyone. I expect PayPal to operate apolitically. If that does not happen I will no longer do business with PayPal or accept business through PayPal and will, very vocally, recommend that others do the same.

PayPal - please just process all legal payments. Please do not get yourself involved in the slippery slope of censorship. My hope is that you are just being "used" (threatened) into your current position. It would be heart breaking to think that PayPal, a company that has helped shape the Internet, is complicit with these censorship tactics.

I am not part of a political group. I am not supporting a side of a political argument. I would with same earnest defend any side against these tactics.

Please do the right thing. My few accounts probably mean nothing to you, but I plan on suspending, and if I must canceling, future business with this company unless you turn around.

Regretfully.

Login to Me Too

vivbunkzm
Contributor
Contributor

I also need to do business with subscribestar, but it's annoying when paypal gets political.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.