Spam?

Joshbiddle
New Community Member
I had an item for sale on eBay for £2000 but this person wanted to do it over PayPal only and not eBay. They have sent me £2500 and said I need to pay an upfront agent cost of £500? And the £2500 isn't even in my account to do this. It's on hold apparently so I'm confused wether if this is genuine or a scam? Thank you!
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Sidney08
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello @Joshbiddle , I hope you're doing fine.

If you receive an email from paypal saying the money has been received,then that's fine. Nothing to worry about that. If you are unsure of the email,forward it to spoof@paypal.com to make sure it's legit.

If the money is on hold because you received it as a payment, that's also safe to know that the money is really in your paypal account. You only have to ship them the item so that the money will be released. Or you can ask them to click the "confirm receipt" button when you log in to paypal website.

I hope this helps. If you find this helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Have a great day and keep safe.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Joshbiddle and @Sidney08,

I'm sorry for the email that you received, and for the confusion involved in the last post. I'd like to clarify a little.

If you've received an email, it may or may not be from PayPal. It is important to check in your account to see if you actually received a payment. Do this by logging in from a fresh browser without clicking any links, simply by going to PayPal.com. Then look in your recent activity to see if there is a payment. If it is there but it is pending, then you have held funds.

However, if the email that you received is asking you to lay out money to receive funds, it is likely a fake. Please do not send any funds to receive funds.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.