Payment Question

Lbean-8
New Community Member
Hi! Im new to the community. I just made my first transaction about an hour ago. The person I sent money to;using goods and services, is now saying to me that I need to send her more money to cover the "fee" that it took out of the money I sent her. She wants another $13.00 plus 29% of that,so that she receives an even $13. Is this normal? When using goods and services to make a purchase, is the purchaser suppose to just "know" to add on whatever the "fees" may be. Im confused with this. Also, is there any way for me to see if this person actually did pay some fee? When I look back at my transaction, I can't tell if it was done with goods and services. And it doesn't show me any fees. The only reason I am even questioning whether or not I paid her through g&s, is because when I go to pay the "fee", the green check is on friends & family. And I never checked that off. I have always had goods & services checked. If anyone can clear this up a bit for me, Id really appreciate it. Thanks!!
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lbean-8 

No, this is not normal. You should not be asked to pay for the PayPal fees that the seller/recipient is responsible for. It is against the PayPal User agreement. At the very, has to be least agreed upon by you prior to purchase that you are ask to pay for fees and you can decide or not to pay but generally it's not allowed (or frowned upon) to ask the buyer to pay PayPal fees. It is supposed to be free for the buyer to pay for a purchase.

The seller give you the total you are to pay and the fee is taken out when they receive payment and it will show on their payment details the amount of fees taken out. When you opted for goods and services while making payment, the recipient is charged the PayPal fee. Only friends and family payments domestically and paid by PayPal balance or bank account is free for either party.

Maybe our user interfaces are different but I've never seen this "green check" mark on Friends and Family. I just see "Sending to a friends" or "Paying for an item or service" under the amount field when using Send & Request.

Gosh, people are such PITA with this lol...pretty much puts me off buying online these days. They're so predatory, buyers AND sellers when you see the cases that come through here. Buying online is more like doing battle on a game of chess than buying. 

You don't want to antagonize the other party but what do you do when you don't feel spooked out and don't want to continue with the transaction. Do you still want to continue with order? If you do, go ahead and pay their fees or ask them the refund the payment so you can send them the entire payment as one (that's what's best from a purchase protection stand point because if you file a dispute you can only get refund for one of the payments even if you file dispute on both) but then don't send payment and say you changed your mind on buying and is canceling order. 

The choice is yours. Another way you can tell if you paid as goods and services is when you click on "Report a problem" in the transaction details, does it also let you file a Item Not Received or Signficantly Not As Described dispute. If you paid as friends and services, it should only let you file Unauthorized Payment.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.