How is PayPal messed up with Patreon in political deplatforming?

Griz1
New Community Member

The rumblings are disturbing in an anti-free speech sort of way but I didn't think much of using PayPal as par of my cashflow solution until it suddenly started giving message that "something was wrong" and "try again later" on a number of transactions.  

For a week straight. 

And coinciding with the Patreon/Sargon of Akkad treachery.  

I totally disapprove of tech giants like Patreon and Paypal trying to control/leverage the political realities of the Nation or rights of the individual and need more input to decide whether I can still trust Paypal's vision to be in-line with solid beliefs like liberty and freedom of the individual.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Griz1

Paypal is not compulsory, if you don't like the company then close your account?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

9yearold
You call yourself a community advisor...telling people if they don't like something to go elsewhere? I came here as a shareholder concerned about my investment... And I can see from this response that there is a big problem. PayPal is publicly traded company, owned by and operated in the interest of shareholders. ANY representatives of PayPal putting political interest above the interest of shareholders (dividends or share value) is going to land you in VERY HOT WATER with the FTC.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@9yearold

How on earth am I a representative of Paypal  Smiley Surprised

I don't represent Paypal in any way shape or form thanks very much.  Smiley Very Happy

This is a 'user to user' COMMUNITY advice forum and not paypal customer services.

Paypal gives you advisor status when you have helped a lot of folks but I am no more representing paypal than you or anyone else on this forum.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

9yearold
Ironically the same dissociation doesn't save certain users from being prevented to use the platform - as the original poster mentioned. Perhaps you should take more interest in these types of concerns as they may end up with you being deplatformed from this forum, and told to find somewhere else to 'help people'.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@9yearold

I accept your apology for accusing me of representing paypal and won't take the accusation any further.

My 'concerns' which are none of your business is to help 'users' of this forum.

I have nearly 20,000 kudos / solutions on here FROM those users many of whom I have saved from being scammed so please forgive me if I ignore the advice from someone who has not helped a single person on here and only posted to make false accusations.   Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

DrMike
Contributor
Contributor

I've been a happy PayPal used for years, but the deplatforming issue is very disturbing.  Before I close my account, I'd like to hear what PayPal has to say for themselves.  Does anyone know if PayPal has issued a denial or some kind of statement about this?

Login to Me Too

Doittoit
New Community Member

I will not be using Paypal any longer until they no longer allow Patreon to use their billing. I have been circulating this activity through our community.  If you belong to a church, scouts, legion or some other community group I urge you to spread the word that Paypal shows and supports others that discriminate based on political ideology choosing to disenfranchise people with opinions that aren't of the extreme left. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.