Banning SubscribeStar and the unpersoning effect.

ZombieZee
Contributor
Contributor

Recently Patreon started dumping conservative and non-political correct clients. Sargon of Akaad being one of the biggest ones. This caused a new startup SubscribeStar similar to Patreon to fill a hole in the market. Now after some extreme left wing pressure Paypal has requested SubscribeStar STOP using Paypal. The only reason is the influx of "evil" right wing people. You know the baddies... Jordan Peterson, ThunderF00t, Sargon, Dave Cullen, etc etc. Some of these guys are hardly right wing. BUT the mainstream media hates them because they stand against things like political correctness and feminism, (the horror).

Paypal stop doing this. This is so very wrong. There are very few payment processors available on the internet. Since the mob got to you Stripe is next on the list. Why are you doing this?

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

JASB101
New Community Member

I will look at alternatives to PayPal as payment options on the various websites I manage. I am also going to stop using PayPal as my preferred payment option.  PayPal take note - all you are doing is providing your competitors an opportunity to sweep up your dissatisfied customers. Change your ways or risk being consigned to the annals of history: Get woke - go broke.

Login to Me Too

MatthewAT6

SubscribeStar is a dreadful place. This is the first time I've come across a site that removes your access the moment you unsubscribe, instead of letting your time run out. I don't regret supporting the individual that I did, but it would have been nice to actually be able to access their work. Never supporting anyone through one of these shady places again.

Login to Me Too

laughingja
New Community Member

Almost all of the places I use PayPal accept other forms of payment.  Credit cards work just as well.  Hell, I’d rather write checks and wait a few days rather than reward this type of behavior.  Since PayPal doesn’t work everywhere, I guess I’ll stop using it.

Login to Me Too

DrMike
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone point me to a statement by PayPal management on this issue?  I'm planning to close my account, but I'd like to hear PayPal's side of the story first.   I tried sending them an email via that email contact menu, but there were no menu choices for non-technical questions like that.  Typical faceless corporation, I guess.  I'm kinda surprised they allow this forum to exist.

There are a few small businesses I pay monthly via PayPal that would be affected if I close my account, so I want to be sure.

Login to Me Too

Thersites

If paypal does not relent on their participation with this authoritarian mob I will have to take my business elsewhere.  I do a lot of business through paypal and have done so since nearly their inception, it will be an imposition but I am prepared to follow through.  It would be useful to know who within paypal I should contact to let them know I will be taking my business elsewhere and why.

Must the left politicize everything?

Login to Me Too

HedleyPty
Contributor
Contributor

I think our statements are irrelevant! I need to read or hear any statements from any representatives of Paypal such as @PayPal_Jo or @PayPal_Liz regarding this delicate issue!

We, the Paypal users, want to know whether any Paypal representative, speaking in behalf of the company. can clarify Jackeline Hart's statements that points out Paypal, as a payment broker, as a "speech police" of what can be stated in Patreon platform.

Login to Me Too

Karlos1972

Although I don't use it often, I'm closing my Paypal account due to this reprehensible behavior.  Paypal most likely put the pressure on Patreon to close his account in the first place.

Login to Me Too

bugsquash

Disgusted and somewhat horrified - I'm withholding judgement for the moment because I can't quite bring myself to believe they don't understand the implications of this. I just hope they have a RATIONAL explanation for this - and not the common silence that often ensues from such decisions

Login to Me Too

ArcticTern

I just signed up to SubscribeStar so I can subscribe direct without using Paypal.  The only thing Paypal will accomplish by engaging in this kind of nonsense is losing customers.  If I have to choose between free speech and 'convenient' payments I'll drop the latter.  You are on notice Paypal.

Login to Me Too

mbennett91
Contributor
Contributor
love you paypal! keep doing your thing. deplatform them all.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.