Banning SubscribeStar and the unpersoning effect.

ZombieZee
Contributor
Contributor

Recently Patreon started dumping conservative and non-political correct clients. Sargon of Akaad being one of the biggest ones. This caused a new startup SubscribeStar similar to Patreon to fill a hole in the market. Now after some extreme left wing pressure Paypal has requested SubscribeStar STOP using Paypal. The only reason is the influx of "evil" right wing people. You know the baddies... Jordan Peterson, ThunderF00t, Sargon, Dave Cullen, etc etc. Some of these guys are hardly right wing. BUT the mainstream media hates them because they stand against things like political correctness and feminism, (the horror).

Paypal stop doing this. This is so very wrong. There are very few payment processors available on the internet. Since the mob got to you Stripe is next on the list. Why are you doing this?

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

ShellShocked
Contributor
Contributor

They aren't left-wingers but pure authoritarians. Banks and payment processors getting involved in politics is extremely disturbing. Suffice to say that I will cease using PayPal for any reason moving forward.

Imagine if phone companies had cut off service to suspected communists during the Red Scare? Electric companies? Water?

Banking and payment processing is like another utility. Technotyranny is upon us.

Login to Me Too

Chris_Jay
New Community Member

It is utterly unconscionable. I use Paypal for convenience, but this sort of interference with people's livelihoods (just before christmas no less!) makes me willing to pay larger fees to a platform that does not play these games. 

Login to Me Too

Q-Hack
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal, please don't go down the political road that much of Silicone Valley seems to be traveling nowadays.  Companies like Patreon decided to de-platform anybody that doesn't tow the far left's authoritarian views.  If you start doing the same, then you can count me as one who will find an alternative internet payment system.

Login to Me Too

Penguintopia
Contributor
Contributor

Trust me, having your phone, electric, gas, and water cut off is coming next. Your leases will be cancelled. Your Homeowners Association will foreclose. You'll be blacklisted by credit card companies and banks. That is what this is leading to.

Login to Me Too

abluejelly
Contributor
Contributor

I wasn't going to move my android app subscriptions off of Paypal (so as to eat Google's bottom line more), but now? Damn close to just straight up shuttering my account here rather than simply not using it.
Get woke? Go broke.

Login to Me Too

Xiahoukai
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, it's a horrible system that is going on. I'm in the process of canceling my PayPal account... it may be a bit painful, but the free market will provide.

here are some suggestions for everyone who disagrees with the Authoritarianism Big Tech is starting use...
sending money to family and friends: Venmo, and banks are starting to do payment processing themselves-  just get away from Paypal.

Been a long time user of paypal and would have preferred them to just stick to processing payments instead of getting into the virtue signal game.... but they drank the kool-Aid and allowing their "community managers" to destroy their company. 

Login to Me Too

DarrenL
New Community Member

My only concern outside of those mentioned above is the role of Visa and Mastercard in this. Did they pressure Paypal? I am still going to shut Paypal down, but alas I am only a very sporadic user. My withdrawal will only be symbolic, but I find it is necessary.

Login to Me Too

Xiahoukai
Contributor
Contributor
No worries, it's the combined effort to send a message no matter how small together we send a message. And yes you are right, stripe and the rest are also pulling the marionette strings, but we have to keep fighting where we can.
Login to Me Too

Reaps
New Community Member

This is the irony of companies attempting to be 'good corporate citizens' - their attempts to show off how 'moral' they are inevitably lead them to getting involved in politics - where one or more sides keep telling the others that they are 'more virtuous and moral' than all the others

I'll be making an attempt to contact PayPal directly to make absolutely sure they're going ahead with this idiotic decision and, if they are, bailing from this platform.  Enough is enough, tbh.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.