Can I use ExpressCheckout to collect different fees from the same user monthly?

GaryChen
New Community Member

We are building a web service, users will be charged every month upon his data amount.

Is it possible to use "ExpressCheckout" to charge monthly fees while fees will vary month by month.

Any help is appreciated!!.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

MTS_Andre

Hi, with ExpressCheckout you could create Reference Transactions for recurring payments of varying amounts of money. You can find a link here below for your reference, consider that this feature is subject to pre-approval before you can use it:

Reference Transactions

Login to Me Too

therealzeta
Contributor
Contributor

We have been using reference transaction in NVP/SOAP for the same scenario (one authorization and many irregular payment in the future) but we want to migrate to REST API as NVP/SOAP is being deprecated. I found that I cant use Billing agreements in REST API as it inherits from Billing Plans and frequency is required. Can anybody advise me about the tool I should implement.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

MTS_Andre

The Reference Transactions is not available with REST APIs unfortunately.

The /v1/payments/billing-agreements creation will create an agreement based on a previously created billing plan so it is the definition of a recurring payment rather than a Reference Transaction.

The alternative is to use BrainTree, a PayPal company which offers the reference transactions as well. You can find an online guide at this link

For details on how to integrate BrainTree for Reference Transactions please contact BrainTree directly. Here is the BrainTree contact page

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.