PayPal is hacked - asking for my credit card PIN

Michael_Money
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like PayPal is hacked Smiley Surprised 

it is asking for my credit card PIN.

See the screenshot here http://i51.tinypic.com/4t6jo5.jpg

See the PayPal certificate here http://i56.tinypic.com/20le34.jpg

What the **bleep** is going on PayPal on weekends ?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_Olivia

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

I took a look at those two screenshots. If you look at the URL in the address bar on the first image, you'll see that the h looks strange. In the second image with the security certificate, the h looks normal. This may be due to cursor placement. Did you accidentally paste a URL in that field before taking the screenshot?

Please check your computer for viruses or other malware. The first screenshot is not a page on the PayPal website.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Michael_Money
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Olivia

Thank you for restoring my privilege to post on this forum.

Yes, I have anti-virus/malware installed on my PC and I use them regularly.

You are correct - the first screenshot may look strange because the cursor is inside the browser address line.

I did NOT accidentally paste URL in that field before taking the screen shot. (Where could I get it ? From the second screenshot you confirm belongs to PayPal ?)

Actually, the second screenshot is the screenshot of the same page - with just two info windows opened by the browser over it.

To make you sure here is the third screenshot of the same PayPal page asking for my credit card pin http://i53.tinypic.com/aou8w6.jpg

Login to Me Too

Michael_Money
Contributor
Contributor

and to make myself absolutely clear please look at the fourth screenshot of the same PayPal page

http://i54.tinypic.com/2w386wy.jpg

It contains the URL address both in address and in info window (FIreFox), the date and time (EST) of the accident.

And I did NOT photoshop this pictures.

I may publish the html code of this page - part of it coming from paypalobjects.com

that I believe is a legimate PayPal domain.

Hope this helps your security guys to figureout what is going wrong inside PayPal Smiley Surprised

P.S. Just FYI - I have the Master Degree with Honors in IT Man Wink

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone,

This particular screenshot and page is an excellent example of a fake or altered spoof site, and is not our website. 

Why?

PayPal doesn't offer the functionality to register a debit card with a PIN.  For your security, we don't want to know your PIN for any card, debit or not.  Even for our own cards that do contain a PIN, we don't ask for this information, ever, on the website or via the phone. 

Due to the unique nature of our processing, PayPal makes use of what is called pinless debit - meaning we don't require a PIN to process your debit card.... again,because we don't need or want to know your PIN to charge the card.

The bottom line is simple - this isn't our website.

I would strongly recommend to any member that receives a page similar to this run a thorough security sweep, with fully updated software, on their system.  Do not access our website via bookmarks or links in emails, unless you know in advance we are sending you such a link.  Prompts such as these are ultimately the result of malware or viruses on the individual users PC, and requests of this nature are not coming from PayPal servers or from our website.

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.