western union scam

djrsummmitx
New Community Member

I am selling a pickup on craig's list. I have a gentleman who said he wanted to buy and had an agent that would come pick it up. He said he sent a total of 11,000 which included fees for western union fess and sending money to his agent. Also he said that I have to western union the money before paypal will credit my account. I feel as though he is trying to scam me and I need to know.  I obviously won't send any money until the money is in my paypal account, but is there some way I can give you at paypal the information so I don't get negative feedback since I didn't send money before receiving money as well as the persons e-mail adress? Please let me know! Thank you!!!

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

mags1
New Community Member

I just got one. I was trying to sell boat on craigslist. I got fake paypal conformation that the money was received. I will try to attach. See below

Hello ,

I was just about to make the payment when i had this little problem with the picking up,I got an email from the pick-up agent..i taught i included that in my previous email.The Pick-Up Agent said they won't come and pick up unless i pay them the agent commission fee first in order to be able to schedule a pick up time/date and The pick up agent head quarters in USA  and all commission payments made for pick up from anywhere in the world is sent to their head quarters in USA  and the only form of payments they accept is western union money transfer and money gram international and i tried to pay online but i will need a credit card which i didn't bring along and there is no western union office/outlet on the offshore. I have to ask you to help me with the pick up fees which am going to add into your PayPal account, i will include the $900.00 USD   they charged to pick it up and take it my Son home(1st class treatment), to the payments i will send through PayPal. After i have made the payments and it has been confirmed by PayPal, i will need you to help me send the $900.00 USD  to the  pick up agent through western union money transfer, the western union money transfer can be made at a western union office/walmart near to you or online at www.westernunion.com

I will make total payment of $13,000.000USD  for the Payment ,$12,000.000USD for the Item,$900.00 USD for the Pick-Up fee and $100.00 USD for Western Union Charges.

Kindly get back to me with your Prefer Pick Address for me to forward it to the Pick-Up Agent for them to schedule time and date for Pick-Up.

Regards.
Donald <removed>.

You've got new funds!

Hello

This email confirms that you have received an Instant payment of $13,000.000USD  from Donald <removed> "His email address" via PayPal Payment Service.

View the "NOTE" of this pending transaction below

Payment Details

Item Amount:

$12,000.000USD

Agent Charges:

Western Union Charges:

Total:

$900.00USD

$100.00USD

$13,000.000USD

Transaction Id:
5EY44452T24691006

Quantity
:

Unit ID:
Goods.

PICK-UP SHIPPING AGENT INFORMATION CONFIRMED!

NAME
<removed>

NOTE: This is to confirm to you that the said amount has been successfully transferred by Donald <remove> and has been deducted from his PayPal account,which is ready to be credited into your account,been that this Payment has been subjected to be a Payment for an (GOODS) purchased from you we reserve the right to make sure this transaction is safe and secured also to verify the legitimacy level on this transaction because of the high sum of funds involved.

The above sum has included thetransport charges and taxes as we and the Transport Company quoted for the buyer (as per PayPal Policy). You will receive a Message from the PayPal Customer Verification Department Shortly informing you on how to send the shipping charges and taxes to the transport company with the above details as soon as possible.

You may contact the PayPal Customer Verification Department and Quote the Above Transaction ID for quick recognition of this transaction at:

VisaMasterCardDiscoverAmerican ExpresseCheck

Copyright ©2011 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.

PayPal Email ID PP468.

Login to Me Too

toga42
New Community Member

Thanks folks....looks familiar to the one I got today.  Sure thought I sold my Piaggio MP3.  Even took extra photos for him.  I did forward the emails to spoof@paypal.com

Email as follows:

rom
to
date Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 4:42 PM
subject Urgent!!!
mailed-by gmail.com
signed-by gmail.com
Important mainly because of the words in the message.

hide details 4:42 PM (5 hours ago)

Hi there, i was just abt to make the payments for the bike when i had this little problem with the picking up of the bike, i just got an email from my agent that he won't come and pick up the bike unless i pay him the agent commission fee first in order to be able to schedule a pick up time for the bike, my pick up agent head quarters is in the United Kingdom and all payments made for pick up from anywhere in the world is sent to their head quarters in the England and the only form of payments they accept is western union money/ money gram transfer  and i tried to pay online but i will need a credit card which i didnt bring on board, and there is no post office or any western union/money gram agent on sea! so i have to ask you to help me with the pick up fees, i will include the $950 they charged to pick up the bike and take it (1st class treatment), to the payments i will send through paypal, after i have made the payments, i will need you to help me send the $950 to my pick up agent through western union/money gram transfer, the western union /money gram transfer can be made at a post office near to you,there is always a western union/money gram agent in most post offices or online atwww.westernunion/moneygram.com  .I will be making the payments shortly and will email you as soon as it has been done.
Thanks!!

Login to Me Too

Westernscam
New Community Member
I was almost a victim of this also I had listed a jet ski on Craigs list and about 20 min later I received an email saying they would take it and for me to take it off Craigs list because they wanted to buy it right away. They said they only do business through PayPal via western union. So I created a PayPal account and the next day they sent me an email dating that the money was transferred out of there account but PayPal had it on hold until I payed for the pick up agents fee of $900. Then once I paid the $900 dollars my PayPal account would be fully funded. The person sent me a confirmation Id# so I called PayPal and they had no record of this Id# and said it was a scam so I sent PayPal the emails to spook@paypal.com and they sent me back a email saying it was a scam. So beware of doing any business through western union
Login to Me Too

jnell2000
Contributor
Contributor

@djrsummmitx wrote:

I am selling a pickup on craig's list. I have a gentleman who said he wanted to buy and had an agent that would come pick it up. He said he sent a total of 11,000 which included fees for western union fess and sending money to his agent. Also he said that I have to western union the money before paypal will credit my account. I feel as though he is trying to scam me and I need to know.  I obviously won't send any money until the money is in my paypal account, but is there some way I can give you at paypal the information so I don't get negative feedback since I didn't send money before receiving money as well as the persons e-mail adress? Please let me know! Thank you!!!

I just want to know more about it to make sure its in good condition so can you assure me i will not be disappointed???And also ,I need to inform you about this,just received an email from my pick agent...am most sure i did not include that in my previous email,They said they won't come for the pick up unless i pay him the agent commission fee first in order to be able to schedule a pick up time.I am a Chief Engineer as my position on the sea here,the ship i am on is the Adventure Hornblower in San diego.I am so busy and can not pay the agent fees from here as they Requested that i pay them with Western Union.So what i will do here is that i will send the payment in the total amount of $5920.So once you receive the confirmation of the payment from PayPal,you will deduct the promised amount for the good which is $5120 and the remaining $800 will be send down to my agent By Western Union.I have tried to paid it direct here but there is no Western Union on the ship,So i believe you can handle this for me. Get back to me so that i can go ahead and send the payment now
I replied to this person to let him know I knew he was scamming me. He threatened me with the FBI. I advised him to make sure he gives the FBI my correct address, because I did not have funds in my account.
Login to Me Too

cdtlee3
Contributor
Contributor

i just had they same thing happen!

Login to Me Too

RBojarski

I just received this e-mail this morning when trying to sell a quad on Craigslist. He tells me he is a petroleum engieneer and is off shore. His name on the e-mail was "David <removed>" and he ends this e-mail with Donald and the e-mail is almost identical to the previous poster in July 2011.  Seriously **bleep** me off that people are like this, trying to get stolen money filtered through a middleman. Thank God my "something is wrong" feeling surfaced in a prior e-mail. Told this Jerk I would NOT go to western union and wanted nothing to do with paying shipping charges. Hopefully this jerk does not find someone else to scam....

Hello [I removed my name here, had both 1st and last],

I was just about to make the payment when i had this little problem with the picking up,I got an email from my agent..i taught i included that in my previous email.he said he won't come and pick up unless i pay him the agent commission fee first in order to be able to schedule a pick up time ,and my pick up agent head quarters  and all commission payments made for pick up, from anywhere in the world is sent to their head quarters and the only form of payments they accept is western union money transfer and i tried to pay online but i will need a credit card which i didn't bring along, and there is no post office(there is usually a western union section in have to ask you to help me with the pick up fees, i will include the $600.00USD they charged to pick it up and take it my home(1st class treatment), to the payments i will send through PayPal. After i have made the payments and it has been confirmed by PayPal, i will need you to help me send the $600.00USD  to my pick up agent through western union money transfer, the western union money transfer can be made at a western union office near to you,there is always a western union agent in most western union or online at www.westernunion.com .

I will make total payment of  $2,200.00USD  for the Payment ,$1,600.00USD  for the Item ,$600.00USD for the Pick-Up fee and $100.00USD for Western Union Charges.

Kindly get back to me with your Home Address for me to forward it to the Pick-Up Agent for them to schedule time and date for Pick-Up.

Regards.
Donald.

Login to Me Too

RBojarski

I e-mailed him the moment I found an almost identical copy of the e-mail here on this forum that I knew he was scamming me and have not heard a word since!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.