selling car on craigs list. I smell a RATwhata u think

ezakiah
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy it now for for my dad and i am not in town at the moment as i am a Network instillation manager and due to the nature of my work, It hard to make a phone calls and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want it to be a surprise for my dad so i wont let him know anything about it until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with it. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for it and please if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it after i have made the payments...

Login to Me Too
36 REPLIES 36

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

It's a scam and somewhere an English teacher is banging their head against the wall in frustration.

Wow - talk about your run-on sentences....

Login to Me Too

ezakiah
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Dude,This one was as obvious as a chin strap on a toupee. KUDOS!!

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

maclaylacter
New Community Member

I am so glad you posted this I am trying to sell my 4wheeler and I got an email that sounds almost exactly like yours...Here is what he sent to me.

.Hi thanks for mailing back,I am an oceanographer, I am at sea right
now,I am buying this for my son as a surprise gift and I am glad you
accepted my offer can only pay through paypal at the moment as I
don't have access to my bank account online(I don't have internet
banking with it),but I have it attached to my paypal account, and this
is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your
paypal email address to make the payments,and if you dont have a
paypal account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.paypal.com.i
will be expecting your email.I have a pick up agent that will come for
the pick up after payments has been sorted.

Sounds a bit odd to me he has never seen it in person just pics on the website. Thanks again for posting this I am going to tell him to find another sucker cause Im not biting LOL..

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

If he didn't have his bank account online, he couldn't attach the paypal account to it.

It's a scam.

Login to Me Too

webandgrafik
Contributor
Contributor

I just received a similar email in response to a motorcycle sale on buysell.com:

Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy it now for for my dad and i am not in town at the moment as i am a Network instillation manager and due to the nature of my work, It hard to make a phone calls and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want it to be a surprise for my dad so i wont let him know anything about it until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with it. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for it and please if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it after i have made the payments...
Thanks.

I googled it right away. Person's email in this case is: mike.anderson4[at]gmail[dot]com

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

i am a Network instillation manager and due to the nature of my work, It hard to make a phone calls

But he can't spell and he's never heard of a cellphone.  Riiiight.

I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking

Again, if he didn't have online banking, he could not have a Paypal account.

It's a scam.

Login to Me Too

TheLateQuentin
Contributor
Contributor

I actually got this guy (or his "agent") to call me!  He called from a restricted number and I was not able to understand him at all.

I'm still not sure it's a scam, but I'm not going to try to find out either!

Login to Me Too

TheLateQuentin
Contributor
Contributor

Also...I'm confused as to what the scam is?  How does he benefit from having someone sign up for a paypal account?  The URL link is straight to paypal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.