scam email?

Barbara_l

Hi, Hope someone can help. I got an email today addressed  "Dear paypal client"

You have received this email because you or someone had used your account from different locations. For security purpose, we are required to open an investigation into this matter.

In order to safeguard your account, we require that you confirm your details.
To help speeed up this process, please access the following link so we can complete the verification of your PayPal Account registration information.

<phishing link removed for safety purposes>

If we do not receive the appropriate account verification within 48 hours, then we will assume this PayPal account is fraudulent and will be suspended.
 Is this email a scam??

I am worried because I did actually make a payment over xmas from my daughters 200 miles away, but the email seems suspicious??

Sorry but this has also been posted elsewhere in the wrong board.apologies but its my first post.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Bowtome
Contributor
Contributor

SCAM hover over the link, it redirects to some chinese website

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

Bowtome
Contributor
Contributor

SCAM hover over the link, it redirects to some chinese website

Login to Me Too

seekingbargains
Contributor
Contributor

My fake email has my REAL NAME on the top!!  It starts of with "Hello  (real name)".

I am freaked out because the criminals KNOW my real name!!  I've heard and seen when it says, "Dear PayPal User" or some other ways but mine has been using my real name twice so far.  Last week and this week!!  I don't like it because I've had identity theft in the past and it also affected my PayPal account and they took care of it.  And now this!  I am afraid this criminal will create an account using my name if they know it already!!!   What should I do?

I know this email isn't real because I checked my account and it's fine.  Also another reason why it isn't real is because it has links in it asking me to log in PayPal. As far as I remember, PayPal does not use links in their emails. 

This is the email example I got in case anyone has the same thing with their real name in it...

Hello (my real name),

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal
system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.

We requested information from you for the following reason:

A recent review of your account determined that we require some additional
information from you in order to provide you with secure service.

Case ID Number: PP-604-337-229

This is a second reminder to (link to log in) as soon as possible. Once you log
in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access.

Be sure to log in securely by using the following link: (link to restore my account access)

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your
account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account
safety.

In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain
limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your
account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further
limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to log in to your
PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this. 

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used to
make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the Resolution
Center. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek further
clarification regarding your account access, please contact PayPal by visiting
the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us".

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that
this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We
apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

PayPal Account Review Department

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you
will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account
and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 1999-2012 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal Email ID PP522
Login to Me Too

MERLINMIKE
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah... I don't trust it either. Besides look at the top of the From column, they spelled PayPal with two "L" s. TWICE. So I logged into my account the regular way just to see if there were any messages from PP and came across your notification of the scam here in the help community area. Lets see if the PayPal senior people get wind of this.

Login to Me Too

seekingbargains
Contributor
Contributor

Where do you see two L's in that email?  I don't see it anywhere otherwise I would have known it's fake just like that.  No there are no two Ls anywhere.  

Login to Me Too

seekingbargains
Contributor
Contributor

By the way I installed Iconix, a program that tells you whether an email is legit.  Iconix is through PayPal and I downloaded it and it worked beautifully.  I had saved real emails from PayPal in the past and compared it to the fake ones and it DID identify the right ones as to be fakes!   Excellent program.  I suggest it for everyone.  So this confirmed that this email above IS fake.  I figured it was but I wanted to be sure but still I don't like the idea that someone out there knows my real name and was using it on me.  Other people would be easily fooled by seeing their real name this time.  The fake emails are getting better and better these days.  I don't see "Dear PayPal User" or "Hello (email)" so forth anymore.  

Watch out and beware! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.