more oceanographer scam!!!!

lasthotrod
New Community Member

I sent him a message that i want his address and phone number!!!

Thank you

i would have accept you call me but presently i m at the sea and there
is no how i can send you my name address with a phone number .but i
will like us to deal in trust and honest .do send me your paypal
account so i can proceed with the payment

--
is the item still for sale
get back to me with the pics
and other specifications

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

fallowfield6

Version i received for an item advertised on Autotrader.

Hello
        how are you today? okay the price is okay by me am ready to buy it  for my uncle  birthday, i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the motorcycle to be a surprise for uncle so i wont let her know anything about the motorcycle until it gets delivered to him,i am sure he will be more than happy with the motocycle. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for the motorcycle and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the mottorcycle up after i have made the payments.

Login to Me Too

steve_dennis
New Community Member

This is one of the emails I received from John Phillip the Oceanographer:

"Hello,
thanks for mailing back and am okay with the price you are willing to sell this artwork,i am an oceanographer and i am buying this artwork for my dad, i am at sea right now,and I can only pay through PayPal and you can put the PayPal charges on me because as at present, i don't have access to my bank account online,but i have it attached to my PayPal account,and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted and will also handle the paper works. I would need your full contact name, address and telephone number to make my booking with the shippers. Be rest assured of a secured transaction because i am a serious buyer and i will only take the artwork after payments has been sorted out.Thanks and God bless."

Looks like there are a lot of Oceanographers buying gifts for their relatives.  Anyone know how this scam actually works out?

Login to Me Too

jferrington
New Community Member

Hello, I don't know what name to call you.
Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it, I am an Oceanographer and at the moment I am on the sea, I am buying the car as a gift for my dad, I want to make it a surprise gift for him, so he won't know anything about the car until my shipping agent delivered it to him. I hope you understand that I can only pay through PayPal. So please kindly get back to me immediately so i can proceed with the payment and after I make the payment, I will send the pick up agent to come around to pick the car up immediately.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon

Thanks
Ken

he wanted me to wire $1000 via wester union for car to be shipped.  before the money cleared paypal

Login to Me Too

LeBowart
New Community Member

Hello, I would like to make inquiry about your artwork, 1, What is the best price you are willing to sell it? 2, Would you accept private shipping company to come for the picked up of the item at your place? 3, Would you accept PayPal as term of payment? I would be waiting to read from you. Regards.

Thanks for mailing back,i am an oceanographer and i am buying this artwork for my dad, i am at sea right now,and I can only pay through PayPal and you can put the PayPal charges on me because as at present, i don't have access to my bank account online,but i have it attached to my PayPal account,and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay,all i will need is your PayPal email address to make the payments,i have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted and will also handle the paper works. Be rest assured of a secured transaction because i am a serious buyer and i will only take the artwork after payments has been sorted out.

Thanks but no thanks **deleted**: Scammer of the sea. LOL

Login to Me Too

shamarieclark
New Community Member

he wanted to buy my horse for 6000 via pay pal here is his frist emailhe has ask me for my pay pal account information to pay me and will send people to pick up the horse

Hi there, Thank you for getting back to me.Can you assure me that it's
in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it.
I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy
this for my son, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have
a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment
from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception
on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make
use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can
send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to
be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal
fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with
paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to
www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I
have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will
get it to my son's location safely
. So i look forward to hear from you soon.

Login to Me Too

sandeeps84
New Community Member

Thanks For Getting back to me.I wish i could come and view the car but that would not be possible at the moment.I would appreciate it if you could send me some pictures.As for the price,what is the least price you are expecting.However,I am buying this car for my darling mum as a Birthday Gift and i am working offshore at the moment as i am a petro-chemical engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want it to be a surprise for my mum so i wont let her know anything about it until it gets delivered to her, i am sure she will be more than happy with it.The reason why I am insisting on pay-pal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking coupled with the fact that i am on a oil rig, but i can pay from my pay-pal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your pay-pal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for it and please if you don't have pay-pal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with pay-pal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it up after i have made the payment.

Login to Me Too

tlmathieu10

lol i just got the same thing from a oceanographer...wow

Thanks so much for your prompt response regarding the payment, The fund has been sent and PayPal has gotten the money deducted from my acct, but due to the agent fee that is needed to be sent to them via western union money transfer, that is why the fund is still on pending in your acct until you send the pick up fee to the agent via western union money transfer and you get back to PayPal with the western union money transfer details so that they can get your acct credited and my agent can come for the pick up

Hope you now understand why the funds is on pending with PayPal?

Looking forward to read from you
 Regards.

Login to Me Too

greene3
New Community Member

I just got one of these emails thank goodness you all shared, he tried to get me to wire 800 for a shipping pickup. the paypal payment recieved email is totaly fake. thanks for posting and alerting the rest of us!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.