if someone wants to send ME money, but what if their account is fraudulent.

bichon
Contributor
Contributor

someone wants to buy my camera and offered to pay via paypal. it looks suspicious.

1) he's willing to pay full price. no counter offers (never seen this before)

2) he has an english name, but the grammer is terrible

3) he is willing to pay me an amount for shipping, but i should be the one to calculate that. he even tells me i could shiip cheaper.. and i imagine that he'd let me keep any extra money.

frankly, i cant figure out what he wants me to do with this  

(btw.. its like craigslist... called kijijii or something, here in canada).

if this transaction  is to go.. should i tell him that i will only ship once the paypal payment is cleared ?

if his paypal account is a fraud, could paypal yank back my money out of my bank account.

he might even tell me he changed his mind and that he wants to use moneygram, which i assume is completely unsecure ?

Well the price you want to get your item sold at is quite ok for me to buy, only that i really wants to purchase the ( Lumix zs3 high end digital ) you listed for sell for my Son who travelled outside the Country for his Wild Life Research in West Africa. So Pls if you do have a paypal account, provide it to me so that I make the payment to you Asap or you sign up for one under www.paypal.com if you don't have an account with paypal. Or you provide me your full contact Address, Full Names, Zip Code, City, State and Phone Number aswell if you wish to receive the money through Money Order and or through Western Union/Money Gram, which will be brought to you straight to your residence if the Money Order or the Western Union/Money Gram will be our mode of transactions through their Delivery Mail men.

Please i also want you to wrap the package as a gift/present and attach it with the package so it will look nice to him when he recieves it because the item is meant to be a Birthday Gift also.

NOTE: I will be paying you $365.00 USD for both the cost price and the shipping fee, and i would prefer the shipping USPS (UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICES) for Faster Delivery which will not cost you much in shipping. Please i need the information fast so that the payment will be made ASAP to enable you ship the Package fast after the payment Confirmation is received.

Thanks for your understanding and i hope to hear from you soonest.

Best Regards,
Dr.David James M.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

IT's a scam.

Any money order will be fake and any paypal email you receive will be fake.  The paypal email will tell you that you have to input a tracking number to see your funds in your account, which is absolute BS - Paypal never works that way.

This is called the Nigerian Scam or a 419 scam.

Just ignore the guy.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

IT's a scam.

Any money order will be fake and any paypal email you receive will be fake.  The paypal email will tell you that you have to input a tracking number to see your funds in your account, which is absolute BS - Paypal never works that way.

This is called the Nigerian Scam or a 419 scam.

Just ignore the guy.

Login to Me Too

JustUs2

I can't believe this. I should of went with my first instinct. So I got scammed. What should I do? If there is anything you can do?

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@JustUs2 wrote:

I can't believe this. I should of went with my first instinct. So I got scammed. What should I do? If there is anything you can do?

If you got a tracking number, be at the post office FIRST THING tomorrow morning and ask them to recall the package.

Sometimes they can, sometimes they can't.

Login to Me Too

bichon
Contributor
Contributor

sure enuf..

when i emailed him to send answer some question... he never reponded..

dead issue. i learned something....

thanks all

Login to Me Too

Tilo

same with me, this is what I got:

hello the price you want to get the item sold is OK buy me,
actually i want to purchase the item you listed for sell for my son
who traveled outside the Country for his wild life research in West
Africa. So Please provide me with your paypal account so that i will send  the payment to you asap,
Please i also want you to wrap the package as a gift/present so it will look nice to him when he
receives it because the item is meant to be a Birthday Gift.
NOTE: I will be paying you $150CAD for  the shipping fee, you will mail to my son through canada post air mail  which will not cost  much in shipping. Please i need the information  ASAP to enable you ship the Package fast after the payment
Confirmation is received, i traveled to states that is why i can't pick up.
Thanks for your understanding and i hope to hear from you soonest.
Best Regards.
Login to Me Too

bichon
Contributor
Contributor

yup...

looks like the same note..

sad that many people probably fall for this stuff....

but not us eh ?????

:)Smiley Very Happy

Login to Me Too

kakchiquel

dam scammers!

Here is some guy who was trying to buy my storm off ebay:

"Dear seller, I'm committed to buy your item and to let you know that i m sending the item to my friend who presently in one of west Africa country Nigeria on missionary program i will be adding 100 USD for the handling and postage to his current address because i want the item sent Via first class delivery USPS{EMS} so get back to me asap if this is OK by you so as to make the payment via PAYPAL asap this is address bellow. PAYPAL EMAIL IS NOT IN THE INVOICE PLEASE GET BACK TO ME WITH THE PAYPAL EMAIL ADDRESS SO I CAN MAE THE PAYMENT ASAP"

Why they have to ruin a good thing.

Login to Me Too

bichon
Contributor
Contributor

for every good thing.. a string of bad things will come along and try to ruin it..

example:   courtship -->  marriage

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@bichon wrote:

for every good thing.. a string of bad things will come along and try to ruin it..

example:   courtship -->  marriage

Oh, you're going to get LETTERS over that!Smiley Very Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.