What do I do with a suspicious email?

bellebambini
Contributor
Contributor

I have just received a very suspecious email.Naturally did not click any links and I went to check my account and everything is Ok.Who do i email that message to?Things have changed and i cannot find it.Should I post it on here?

Thankyou

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

nikkii_07
New Community Member

forward the email to  spoof@paypal.com and I would call the customer service number that is listed on the PP website! You did right by not cclicking any links.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11
Solved

nikkii_07
New Community Member

forward the email to  spoof@paypal.com and I would call the customer service number that is listed on the PP website! You did right by not cclicking any links.

Login to Me Too

shipwreck
New Community Member
I received this message from a buyer.  How can I be protected by PayPal if I'm not shipping the truck.  Is this a legimate email or a scam?    

alright i got the pics,I will be needing your email with PayPal for the payment,once payment has been completed,i will have it picked up by an international shipping company as i am having it shipped abroad and they have liaisons with local CA companies in every suburb so getting to you shouldn't be a problem

Regards

Login to Me Too

Copperdesk
New Community Member
If you haven't taken action yet, DON'T! This "buyer" is scamming you, and wants to get your personal PayPal information and/or your truck for free, or both. If any email states they want to buy your stuff and ship it overseas, and "will have it picked up", that's nonsense. They are up to no good. Don't respond to them or deal with them at all. Personal pick only, Cash only, and they can meet you at your local police station. These should be your only terns.
Login to Me Too

reeses4me

My email was set to open automatically on the next email in line so it opened the scam email. I forwarded it to the spoof email and sent it to the trash. How do I know if opening has caused a breach? One said varify card info and the next I got today, said my card was canceled. It not, of course, but what's up all the sudden?

Login to Me Too

Jain269
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone tell me if paypal send emails stating my account has been hijacked and limited???

Login to Me Too

Mouseketeer
Contributor
Contributor

This sounds similar to a scam email I got when posting my car for sale. Check out the "oceanographer scam" sections in this forum. However, I tried forwarding this to spoof@paypal.com and they told me this was a legit email. I told them they should read their own forum because this is definitely a scam. Other people said they responded to a similar email and were eventually asked to wire money via western union for some kind of fee. How can we stop these people when even paypal says there's no problem with this email? Below is the email I got:

Hi There,

Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that it's in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my son, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will take care of very necessary paper for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon. will like to see more pics.

I need the address where the agent will meet you and your PayPal email address so i can send the money now.

Many Thanks
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Andy

Mouseketeer-  Sorry for the confusion there.  The spoof@paypal can really only tell spoof emails if they're from PayPal.  That email would technically be legitimate, because it's just from one person to another.  But once they start pretending to be us, forward that and we can make a better determination.  I will tell you though, looking that email over, it has all the trademarks of a fraudulent email.  Either that, or there's a lot of oceanographers who like to purchase things online for other people 😉

Andy

Login to Me Too

Mouseketeer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply! Good to know that the spoof@paypal.com is mostly for fake emails claiming to be from PayPal. And I certainly didn't believe this oceanographer--you'd think he would try something original after awhile. I'm glad you have this forum so we can confirm stuff like this with others.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Andy

Mouseketeer-  Glad I could be of assistance!  And I'm glad that you came here for help as well, if you need anything further, don't hesitate to let us know!

Andy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.