Was I scammed?

My boyfriend listed his laptop for sale on craigslist and we received a reply from 'Lizzy' wanting to buy the laptop and offering $150 more than the laptop was listed as, and she asked if we could use PayPal for payment. We said sure. Then she tells us that she offered the extra money because she wanted us to ship the laptop to her fiance in Nigeria, she was buying it for him to 'keep in contact' supposedly. So we ship the laptop, and did get insurance on it. Then, PayPal emails us and says that the laptop had to have a $300 fee sent via Western Union to the fiance so he could pay the Nigerian customs in order to get a package because apparently 'laptops are eradicated in this country'. So we wired that money, and PayPal said that we would receive the $300 in addition to the money for the laptop and it would all be credited at once into our PayPal account. Thinking this whole ordeal was finally over, I receive yet another email from PayPal today saying that due to a 'technical error' Lizzie's account was charged for the original $800 twice. So they ask us to again wire money, $800 to her fiance in Nigeria!! Now I've finally had enough, why can't the $800 just be credited back into Lizzie's account?! What the heck is going on!! Are we being scammed?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Okay so I officially now know that we were scammed. Is there any possible way of getting the laptop or the money back? And what if we bought insurance on the laptop when we shipped it, does that make a difference?! Please help, we're desperate!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.