Suspected fraudulent charge - 402-935-7733

Rennieh
Contributor
Contributor

A charge for $12.73 has appeared on my bank statement citing "PayPal *Igottrade402-935-7733/VISA Purchase (non-pin) as the payee. There is no corresponding notation in my PayPal on-line records. This is my linked account.

I did a little research on line and found three totally different stories behind this. One says its a legitamate PayPal charge to cover insufficient funds in my PayPal account. Another says it is a scam and needs to be reported to both PayPal and my bank.

Which is correct? If it's ligit, why does it not show in my PalPal statement?

Login to Me Too
159 REPLIES 159

SmokieT
Contributor
Contributor

My question if regarding my mothers bank statement.   I help her out as often as I can and I go through her bank statements with her to verify that she is not being scammed or charged for things she does not have.  While going through the statement today I found a charge for 184.95 with PAYPAL *GEEKNEXT 402-935-7733 CA being where the payment was sent.  My mother does not have a Paypal account and has no online presence.  No email, no online shopping accounts.  I'm investigating what the charge is for and wanted to check here and see if a charge like this is even possible for a person with no Paypal account.  It's very different from going through my statements as I shop primarily online and I use paypal almost daily but Paypal showing up on moms account raises a red flag. 

Can anyone shed some light on this matter for me.  Can this type fo transaction happen if the account holder does not have a paypal account? 

Thanks for any and all advise or guidance you may be able to give me on this subject. 

Smokie T

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

All she needs is a bank debit card and the charge would show up as such.  Does she have any credit cards?  Does she shop with a credit/debit card?

Login to Me Too

AJTaurus

I just received a call from the number 402-935-7733... The automated message states that I was signed on in an unfamiliar location and that my account has been locked "for my safety".  It then gave me a 1888-222-(I forgot the last 4) number that I had written down somewhere. I didn't call it, but I looked at the Paypal contact info, and called the tech support line listed on the website. Tech support is currently closed (8:00pm CST), but I did not call the number that was provided to me by the automated message.

I then called the 402 number back and it claimed to be paypal's tech support and asked me for my one-time passcode. 

This is extremely fishy to me and I don't see any strange activity on my account, it does not appear to be locked as I just tested it by sending a dollar to my friend. Is there a way that I can view a log-in log that shows where my account had been logged in at? 

Do you coldcall your customers about any of this? My initial thought is "no", but it doesn't hurt to to post this. Either as a beware, and to get some info.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

So, your account wasn't locked?  Is that correct?

You will need to phone PayPal customer service for help.

Login to Me Too

AJTaurus

It doesn't seem to be that my account is locked. I haven't used it yet and I don't see anything on it saying that it is locked (I'm still not used to the new interface) 

EDIT: I just sent a dollar to a friend and it went through just fine. Doesn't appear to be locked.

Login to Me Too

susanme
New Community Member

we got the same thing on the company credit card 245.23 for "PLUMBROTHER" nov 2016 charge

Login to Me Too

LMTM
New Community Member

Just received a credit card statement with five transactions listed as PAYPAL followed by some short name and the 402-935-7733 number in California.  None of these five charges showed up on my PayPal account.  I changed my PayPal password.  I searched this phone number and found this thread.  I called the credit card company the next day and asked the fellow to give me more info on each of these five potentially fraudulent charges.  He led me through each of them, and they all eventually traced to five purchases on eBay that I recognized.  Two of the five were international eBay sellers, and the figures didn't quite match up, but I determined that the differences of around $1 were from foreign currency conversion rates to US dollars.  The credit card person says that these five showed up as online transactions through eBay, and that eBay lists these charges as "PAYPAL"  (they used to be one company) but through a credit card.  I will still monitor future credit card statements to see if this happens again, as some on this post say they found such PayPal charges to be fraudulent, but at least in my case all five charge were legitimate. The "PayPal" part is what was confusing.  I still recommend checking your statement for fraud, but check also your eBay purchase history as I did.  

Login to Me Too

brhapsody
Contributor
Contributor

You just saved me an unnecessary dispute. Thanks for the clear explanation!

Login to Me Too

brhapsody
Contributor
Contributor

Please don't assume the charge is fraudulent. This phone number appears on "PAYPAL *..." transactions where the purchase went through eBay outside of PayPal. The complaint should be with eBay, not PayPal, for inccorreclty prefacing trasaction descriptions with "PAYPAL *". Heck, PayPal wasn't even involved in the transaction!

If you're concerned about fraudulent transactions that actually went through PayPal, consider enabling two-factor authentication. Then open a dispute with PayPal. I've had to do this twice, an they've been more than accommodating in reimbursing the fraudulent charges.

Login to Me Too

oceania1916
New Community Member

I just was on my own Paypal account page to pay a couple of invoices. Right after I paid these invoices, I received a strange phone call from 402-935-7733. It stated via my Truecaller app it was Paypal, yet 1091 people have noted this as spam. Just wondering if anyone else has received a weird scamming call right after they've been on their SECURE (or assumed) HTTPS secure paypal.com account page. 

It concerns me. I'm hoping this was simply coincidental. The Paypal customer service number via their website is a toll free number, with exception of being out of the US - Go to https://www.paypal.com/help and click "Call Us" or out of US - Go to https://www.paypal.com/help and click "Call Us"

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.