Suspected fraudulent charge - 402-935-7733

Rennieh
Contributor
Contributor

A charge for $12.73 has appeared on my bank statement citing "PayPal *Igottrade402-935-7733/VISA Purchase (non-pin) as the payee. There is no corresponding notation in my PayPal on-line records. This is my linked account.

I did a little research on line and found three totally different stories behind this. One says its a legitamate PayPal charge to cover insufficient funds in my PayPal account. Another says it is a scam and needs to be reported to both PayPal and my bank.

Which is correct? If it's ligit, why does it not show in my PalPal statement?

Login to Me Too
159 REPLIES 159

TetonTom

Ours was a totally valid charge from Fiesta Color for Christmas Ornaments.  I always check my actual PayPal account to help jog my memory. 

Login to Me Too

calbers
New Community Member

I had this happen to me and finally puzzled it out. I charged something from an Ebay vendor who uses Paypal to process his Visa charges. I thought I recognized the amount. So it was charged directly to my credit card but processed through the vendor's Paypal account. It was a charge I had made. Problem solved. Good luck with yours!

@Rennieh wrote:

A charge for $12.73 has appeared on my bank statement citing "PayPal *Igottrade 402-935-7733/VISA Purchase (non-pin) as the payee. There is no corresponding notation in my PayPal on-line records. This is my linked account.

I did a little research on line and found three totally different stories behind this. One says its a legitamate PayPal charge to cover insufficient funds in my PayPal account. Another says it is a scam and needs to be reported to both PayPal and my bank.

Which is correct? If it's ligit, why does it not show in my PalPal statement?

Login to Me Too

kwiefling
Contributor
Contributor

I also have a suspicious charge on my bank credit card that is not matching to any PAYPAL activity:

02/16/2016 02/17/2016 Sale PAYPAL *KEMPENTERPR Category for PAYPAL *KEMPENTERPR: 

402-935-7733, CA

I sent an inquiry to my bank asking what it is.

Login to Me Too

brightbamboo
New Community Member

I got two also, they are from paypal pitneybowes <removed> CT and paypal 3gautoparts <removed> ON. I didn't purchase these things at all, I don't know why paypal charged me with my Mastcard?? 

I called paypal this morning, she said will refound me in 15 days, I will see... 

And also I found other fraud charges to my credit card by an internet buy and sell platform, be careful!! There are a lot traps!

Login to Me Too

kwiefling
Contributor
Contributor

I researched this with my bank and found out that the word PAYPAL shows up on my credit card if the VENDOR uses PAYPAL. It will not show up on my PAYPAL account.

My charge was valid.

Login to Me Too

ccrowell
New Community Member

I also received 4 different charges. The largest was for $118.84 and others were smaller like $12.91. All charges have a suspicious name like "*paypal-marketparth" or "*paypal-tai mountain" all of which are not charges I've authorized. The weird thing is my card that was charged has never been set up with paypal so I suspect that my card number was stollen and a fake charge was make and the theif has associated the name "paypal" as to not seem suspicious. This car number was saved on ebay's website, so I suspect that the card information was hacked from there. I have since deleted the card number and changed my passwords on both paypal and ebay. My credit card copany has cancelled the card and is working on refunding the amount. 

Login to Me Too

Kelly521
Contributor
Contributor

I have 2 charges on my AMEX bill from "PAYPAL *SCARFACE123" with this phone number.  Both charges were on the same day for $13.50.  A little internet research showed that this is a dating chat line.  I called AMEX, they removed the charges and they are sending me a new card. 

This is a fraud.

Login to Me Too

ShadowBlue
New Community Member

Have you purchased anything from eBay?  That is what my unkown charge turned out to be.  I dont' know why it lists the vendor as LOCKOUTONLIN 402-935-7733, when their name is different

Login to Me Too

beth3
Contributor
Contributor

A charge to my Mastercard (not connected to my PayPal account) was correct.  A charitable organization that I donated to (ARF Animal Rescue) used PayPal to process my Mastercard payment, and the charge showed  "ARFANIMALRES CA 402-935-7733 CA".  I know that this organization isn't in CA, so I assume both the phone # and the location are related to PayPal. 

Anyway, my charge that showed this is completely legitimate.  It's not related to PayPal on my side, so I understand why this would cause confusion.  The amount was what clicked for me, and also I happened to check my Mastercard account online a few hours after making the donation. 

Login to Me Too

Brebro
New Community Member

I have a Paypal charge on my credit card and it shows this number with the name of the vendor. It is a legit charge of payment of a won eBay item, so it must be a PayPal number since I paid for it through them.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.