Suspected fraudulent charge - 402-935-7733

Rennieh
Contributor
Contributor

A charge for $12.73 has appeared on my bank statement citing "PayPal *Igottrade402-935-7733/VISA Purchase (non-pin) as the payee. There is no corresponding notation in my PayPal on-line records. This is my linked account.

I did a little research on line and found three totally different stories behind this. One says its a legitamate PayPal charge to cover insufficient funds in my PayPal account. Another says it is a scam and needs to be reported to both PayPal and my bank.

Which is correct? If it's ligit, why does it not show in my PalPal statement?

Login to Me Too
159 REPLIES 159

CatticusCat
Contributor
Contributor

I placed an order on ebay last night.  I saw this on my bank statement today: "PAYPAL *DAVE 402-935-7733 CA."

It is fully legitimate. The charge is the exact same charge for the item I purchased on ebay, using my PayPal account. 

Hope this helps. Cat Happy

Login to Me Too

CatticusCat
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, I just went through the history of my PayPal purchases on my bank's summary, and for those purchases for which I used PayPal, almost all of them show this number, and all were legitimate purchases by me through ebay, using my PayPal account.

I also did a search and found this number as a customer service number for PayPal.

Some of my purchases just state "POS Withdrawal San Jose", and some of my purchases state the seller's name of my purchases (partial name, but I can tell who it is) and then this same number we are discussing. And some simply state "Purchase PayPal" with the amount or Withdrawal PayPal" with the amount. But none of mine are fraudlent.  

I am not saying to not make sure you check it out, because yes, some charges could be fraudlent. But I've been a buyer for a long time on ebay, and have been using PP for a long time, and this number shows up on nearly all of my purchases on my bank summary for most of my PP purchases. I always check very carefully, and all my purchases shown are legit. 

PP has charged me "Re-Try Fees" and such, and I'm not thrilled with them, but so far, I have no "fake" charges on my account. But they have changed their policy just this month or so, and I don't think we are covered for the 190 days we used to be, and other things have changed as well. So, I may not be using PP much longer. 

Again, I hope this helps. But yes, always check, because fraud happens, as we all know. Cat Happy

Login to Me Too
Solved

CatticusCat
Contributor
Contributor

Here is where I found the number. On their page about help with "unauthorized transactions" on your PayPal Account. I tried to put a link to the page, and it would not let me submit my post, so here is what it says. I had to change the link a bit in the notify section because it still would not let me post it as a copy and paste:

Unauthorized transactions

If you think someone's used your account without permission, report it to us immediately and we'll help protect you. If you find a suspicious charge, an error, or some other unauthorized transaction when viewing your account, we may be able to help. Report it within 60 days of when it appeared on your statement and if unauthorized transactions are eligible, you won’t be held liable.

You can notify us in the following ways:

• For any type of unauthorized transaction or error, you can call our customer service at Go to https: // www . paypal. com / help and click "Call Us". You can also notify us in writing or online by following the instructions below.
  • Before notifying us, please double check that it’s not a transaction you might’ve simply forgotten, like a recurring payment for a magazine subscription.
Call us

For any type of unauthorized transaction or error, you can call our customer service at:

402-935-7733 

Login to Me Too

jsbToday
Contributor
Contributor

Sat. 03/11/2017 - Good morning. I got a call from this number and just wanted to know if it's legitimate or a spoof. I see PP's numbers are 402, Nebraska. I was at school; told the person to call me back in an hour but they never did. 

I need to know, so I can take further action if necessary. 

Thank you, 

Ms. J. S. Butler

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jsbToday

No idea, ask paypal CS.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Onasai
Contributor
Contributor

I saw a lot of posts concerning this number, <removed> and they all seemed to be different. In December I made an order and made a 'temporary" paypal acct because I didn't have one. My bank was charged the amount, the $$ went to someone with an email of <removed> AND I NEVER RECEIVED THE ORDER.

I tried emailing, calling, emailing again, calling again ... 4 times. Finally went to paypal for help and had to make an acct to get help. Then paypal said they have no record of the transaction (all electronic). I tried calling paypal and was on hold for over a half hour, I finally had to go.

What are my options concerning this? I appreciate any advice.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If the transaction is not in your PayPal account, then it was not with PayPal.

How did you actually pay?  You need to look at your personal account reccords to find out what you really did.

Login to Me Too

Onasai
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much for your respnse. The transaction showed up immediately on my debit card, so I have that record. 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You paid as PayPal Guest where payments are run through PayPal merchant payment processing gateway but since you didn't log in to a PayPal account during checkout there is no record of transaction at PayPal.  Did you pay by debit card?  Then open a dispute by calling number on back of debit card.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Onasai
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much for your advice. I wanted to be sure there was no other option before I called my bank (yes, I did pay by debit card) I'll give it a try. *sigh* it just makes me so sad when stuff like this happens. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.