Suspected fraudulent charge - 402-935-7733

Rennieh
Contributor
Contributor

A charge for $12.73 has appeared on my bank statement citing "PayPal *Igottrade402-935-7733/VISA Purchase (non-pin) as the payee. There is no corresponding notation in my PayPal on-line records. This is my linked account.

I did a little research on line and found three totally different stories behind this. One says its a legitamate PayPal charge to cover insufficient funds in my PayPal account. Another says it is a scam and needs to be reported to both PayPal and my bank.

Which is correct? If it's ligit, why does it not show in my PalPal statement?

Login to Me Too
159 REPLIES 159

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Why do you think it was weird?  Did you answer the call?  Did the caller leave a message?

Google research that it could be a call verification from PayPal to confirm a suspicous transaction.  Paying multiple invoices could very well be suppicious, especially if their was already an issue with the seller.  By not answering you may put your account in jeopardy if there was something suspicious that you ignored.

Login to Me Too

Velinestra
Contributor
Contributor

I received a phone call from 402-935-7733 claiming to be PayPal (no voicemail message). So, I went to PayPal's website and got a number to call them. The PayPal rep looked up my account (I only supplied my name) and saw that everything was in order. Then, the rep said that 402-935-7733 was not a valid PayPal number because no one at PayPal had called me about my account (according to their tracking database) and that it was probably a phishing attack (spoofed Caller ID info). So, all I can say is, don't answer the call. If it's legit, PayPal will leave a message. Otherwise, go to the PayPal website, get a contact number and ask the rep.

Login to Me Too

elfory
New Community Member

So...

Is this a valid PayPal number?

I was just asked to confirm my identity, and I got a call from this number immediately... didn't answer.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

GNLService
New Community Member
Answer or don't but do not enter any codes. If you get a call you'll likely have gotten an email code too or a text code. Caller wants you to enter this code into the phone so they can convert it to a pin number to access your account. It is the same process if you lose your login password, you request a text and/or call to get access. But if *you didn't request a code to reclaim your password and you get a call, that means *someone else is requesting the code to access your account. When you answer via their fake number and enter the code, they now get the code to access your account.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It's hard enough to recognize spoofed calls on a landline phone.  Caller ID's are spoofed to not reveal the real caller.

Cell phones are even worse when it comes text messages with spoofed sender numbers and fake message.  I do not use cell phone texts for any security issues.  The response by @GNLService shows a good reason for extreme caution; don't enter codes unless you are absolutely certain of the caller or sender.

Login to Me Too

Dubman2017

So I noticed the transaction stated in my CC statement and did not recognize it so I checked my PayPal Activity page on my account and nothing was there so alarm bells were sounded. Called bank to report it and they said it was a PayPal issue. PayPal emailed me back saying there was no record to see and to check my eBay receipts and emails. Seems I did use a credit card as payment method in my checkout for that purchase instead of a bank debit withdrawal that is the default setting I have with PayPal. 

My question is does this purchaser have my CC number on file which I would be angry about if so?  

Will only use a low fund bank debit method from now on to be on safe side.

Login to Me Too

jojava
New Community Member

Jan. 23, 2017 money was witrhdrawn from my checking and my statement reads *4FRONTINCC4029357733.

This was not authorized

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Well, then contact your bank to dispute it.

Login to Me Too

smboring
New Community Member

This happened to me. I was reconciling my bank statement today and saw a charge for $514.80. I called my bank first; they encouraged me to reach out to PayPal. I'm glad that I did (I called the main number), because they were able to verify that my debit card had been stolen and used to set up a new PayPal account from someone named Jackie Cook. PayPal is working on getting my money back. I then called my bank back and found out that this person had charged 3-4 more items - totaling around $1000!!! My debit card is now permanently killed and can no longer be used. As soon as these other charges show up on my transaction history, I will alert PayPal (if it came through them) or my bank (if it did not show up as a PayPal charge).

Login to Me Too

ManicAccountant
New Community Member

We noticed a charge on my bank credit card PAYPAL *FOO BAR INC 402-935-7733 PA which we did not use PayPal to make.  What had happened was we ordered something using that credit card on a merchant site and the merchant used PayPay on their end to process the credit card therefore it showed up as a PayPal transaction.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.