Scam?

frodriguez8705
Contributor
Contributor

I Just received this e-mail today and I wasnt sure if it was a scam or not. The first sign that this looked fishy was that it sent the e-mail to my secondary email account and i haven't received anything in my primary (which is where I ALWAYS get paypal emails)  This is what it said:

Dear Member,

As part of our efforts to provide a safe and secure environment for the
online community, we regularly screen account activity.
Our review of your account has identified an issue regarding its safe use.
We have placed a restriction on your account as a precaution.

To lift the restriction we will require some further information from you.

We have sent you an attachment which contains all the necessary steps in order to restore your account access.
Download and open it in your browser.
After we have gathered the necessary information, you will regain full access to your account.

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

PayPal Review Department

Login to Me Too
43 REPLIES 43

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Yeah, funny how these people always claim to be missionaries, as if that gives them any credibility.

It's a scam.

Login to Me Too

edakers
New Community Member

Same thing here...almost word for word on my armoire for sale on craigslist, I replied back and told the person "f" off

Login to Me Too

gardenguru
Contributor
Contributor

Thank goodness for this forum.  Maybe Susan will get her come uppins and get in some trouble.  Marketing is tuff enough without all the scammers. 

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

'Susan'  is just the nom du jour.  They'll have another name in a few hours.

Login to Me Too

raypol4
New Community Member

I received the sameemail on Aug 8 concerning an antique stove listed on Craig's list.

Login to Me Too

msearer
Contributor
Contributor

This same **bleep** wants to buy a boat from me and have it shipped to England? Hello....I dont think so. This is no rowboat, come on....at first I was like well....maybe....then I googled her name and voila. SHe would have paid more in shipping through her "agent" than the boat costs. Thank you Paypal forum.  Here's her note:

Hello.

Thanks for your response,I am ok with your asking price but I will be paying through my online paypal account,as that's the only way i receive and make payment for my purchases online,due to that i am from Norwich East of England and i'm on a missionary course attached to Norwich Cathedral,and i am always busy here,that's why i can't use any other form of payment than paypal,because it makes shopping easy for me online.

So if you are ok with paypal,and you have paypal account,kindly get back to me with the email linked to your paypal account and if you are new to paypal,you can easily set up your own paypal account at www.paypal.com its easy,fast,safe and secured,all i need is the email address you use in your registration with paypal,that will enable me to make the payment,and with your address for pick up,as I will arrange a shipping agent my self,and I will need to send him your address so he can estimate the shipping cost for me and he will also be the one to handle and sign the purchase agreements when he come for the pick up.

so don't forget to include your address and phone number when you reply with your email linked to paypal for payment,as i will need your address before payment,and never mind about the paypal charges,i will pay the charges and my shipping agent will come for the pick up after your confirm the money in your account.

I look forward to read from you asap .

Very best wishes,

Susan.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@msearer wrote:

This same xitch wants to buy a boat from me and have it shipped to England? Hello....I dont think so. This is no rowboat, come on....at first I was like well....maybe....then I googled her name and voila. SHe would have paid more in shipping through her "agent" than the boat costs. Thank you Paypal forum.  Here's her note:

Hello.

Thanks for your response,I am ok with your asking price but I will be paying through my online paypal account,as that's the only way i receive and make payment for my purchases online,due to that i am from Norwich East of England and i'm on a missionary course attached to Norwich Cathedral,and i am always busy here,that's why i can't use any other form of payment than paypal,because it makes shopping easy for me online.

So if you are ok with paypal,and you have paypal account,kindly get back to me with the email linked to your paypal account and if you are new to paypal,you can easily set up your own paypal account at www.paypal.com its easy,fast,safe and secured,all i need is the email address you use in your registration with paypal,that will enable me to make the payment,and with your address for pick up,as I will arrange a shipping agent my self,and I will need to send him your address so he can estimate the shipping cost for me and he will also be the one to handle and sign the purchase agreements when he come for the pick up.

so don't forget to include your address and phone number when you reply with your email linked to paypal for payment,as i will need your address before payment,and never mind about the paypal charges,i will pay the charges and my shipping agent will come for the pick up after your confirm the money in your account.

I look forward to read from you asap .

Very best wishes,

Susan.

That's a different scam.

What happens is the scammer 'pays' you more money because the 'shipping agent' wants to be paid upfront by Western Union.  You send the money and they disappear before you discover the payment is fake.

Login to Me Too

MoonDog-1961

I have the identical thing happening with Susan ***** except it is to purchase antique furniture from Craig's list.  She acted like she deposited $11,200 in my account that never showed up.  She wants me to send money via Western Union to her shipping agent.  She says that Paypal is holding the money, and I can see the transaction in an email she generates (which shows up in Spam), and I need to send them a scanned copy (it's funny because she said "scam" copy of Westen Union to them.  She also gave a verification email address which is rediculous to trust a scammer to verify their own scam. Watch out they're getting more clever!

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Moon Dog

it's funny because she said "scam" copy of Westen Union to them.

Smiley Very Happy

Talk about yer Freudian slips....

I wonder how many thousands of letters she's going to send with that in it before she notices.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@hpv2 wrote:

What a day, I have so called pay pal buyer from UK wanting me to ship to Nigeria.

Problem ? Funds are pending routing problem,Three days pass,I cancel transaction

and get FBI/PAY Pal SCREEN threatening me ?

I get 10 text messages threatening me to ship, Name of text messsage Pete Rose.

Give me a break,this a bunch of Nigerian Morons. Please Advise. Henry Valdez

I hope you didn't  login to your account using an email link - I can't see any way that the FBI would have a popup in Paypal, especially in the UK.

Just ignore the morons, they never do anything about it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.