Scam?

frodriguez8705
Contributor
Contributor

I Just received this e-mail today and I wasnt sure if it was a scam or not. The first sign that this looked fishy was that it sent the e-mail to my secondary email account and i haven't received anything in my primary (which is where I ALWAYS get paypal emails)  This is what it said:

Dear Member,

As part of our efforts to provide a safe and secure environment for the
online community, we regularly screen account activity.
Our review of your account has identified an issue regarding its safe use.
We have placed a restriction on your account as a precaution.

To lift the restriction we will require some further information from you.

We have sent you an attachment which contains all the necessary steps in order to restore your account access.
Download and open it in your browser.
After we have gathered the necessary information, you will regain full access to your account.

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

PayPal Review Department

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

It's a scam.

The attachment is a keylogger spyware - it'll steal your passwords and give them to a scammer.

Paypal NEVER addresses its emails with "Dear Member" - they know what your name is.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
43 REPLIES 43
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

It's a scam.

The attachment is a keylogger spyware - it'll steal your passwords and give them to a scammer.

Paypal NEVER addresses its emails with "Dear Member" - they know what your name is.

Login to Me Too

frodriguez8705
Contributor
Contributor

thanks a bunch!

Login to Me Too

BigHornDave
New Community Member

Thanks for verifying what I suspected. 

Login to Me Too

hpv2
Contributor
Contributor

What a day, I have so called pay pal buyer from UK wanting me to ship to Nigeria.

Problem ? Funds are pending routing problem,Three days pass,I cancel transaction

and get FBI/PAY Pal SCREEN threatening me ?

I get 10 text messages threatening me to ship, Name of text messsage Pete Rose.

Give me a break,this a bunch of Nigerian Morons. Please Advise. Henry Valdez

Login to Me Too

platonicbomb
New Community Member

In the future follow a pro's lead: http://www.419eater.com/html/john_boko.htm

Login to Me Too

gardenguru
Contributor
Contributor

Think I have one (a scam) going on with the UK right now. Susan ***** wants to buy our tractor and supposedly put a hold on the cost of the purchase which includes the shippers cost of $650.00, which was not part of the deal.  Susan was supposed to take care of the paypal fees and the shippers fees on her own. Before Susan will take the hold off the funds (which are not showing up on my account as being on hold) she wants me to send the shipping fees of $650.00 to  this guy in the UK, crazy or what. This web site keeps showing up with some kind of fund verification team at cash 4 u dot com.   Do you guys know who this is??   This takes the fun out of trying to make a buck.  These people gotta be nuts.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@gardenguru wrote:

Think I have one (a scam) going on with the UK right now. Susan ***** wants to buy our tractor and supposedly put a hold on the cost of the purchase which includes the shippers cost of $650.00, which was not part of the deal.  Susan was supposed to take care of the paypal fees and the shippers fees on her own. Before Susan will take the hold off the funds (which are not showing up on my account as being on hold) she wants me to send the shipping fees of $650.00 to  this guy in the UK, crazy or what. This web site keeps showing up with some kind of fund verification team at cash 4 u dot com.   Do you guys know who this is??   This takes the fun out of trying to make a buck.  These people gotta be nuts.

Yes, that's also a scam.

NEVER allow the buyer to arrange shipping!

They can use a stolen shipping account and the courier will come back on you for payment when the account-holder refuses to pay.

And never send money for any sort of fees to a third party.  In this case, they don't want the tractor, they want the fee and you'll never hear from them again once they've got them.

Login to Me Too

gardenguru
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all the positive feedback.  Please note that Susan ***** and her UK scam included a supposed receipt on my email from PayPal showing receipt of the money of $2650.00 which explained that the amount was on hold until the receipt was scanned and sent to their website after which they'd release the funds.  I wrote up an invoice on PayPals site to bill them with a legal receipt and noticed when I retuned to my PayPal account that the $2650.00 was no where on my account.  So the Scam was very hi tech and well planned.  You are right about me being a newbee to this selling stuff so I am shocked but thankfully I am very distrustful of any foreign buyers.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

You'd better be distrustful of DOMESTIC buyers as well - there are more scams from US residents than anywhere in the UK.

Always follow the process - you get an email that says you've been paid, check to see the paymnt in your paypal account.  If it isn't there, do NOT ship, no matter what the emails say.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.