Received notice that Pay Pal Account was compromised

tacotton509
Contributor
Contributor

HI-I received an e-mail saying that someone accessed my PayPal account and that  the acount was compromised.  Has this happened to anyone else?

I checked my account and it is fine, no problems!  Thanks TC

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

The email is fake, commonly called a phishing email.

I hope you did not use the link in the email to go to your Paypal account - if you did, you have given a scammer your paypal account name and password and they can clean you out at will, as well as downloading a keylogger spyware onto your computer.

NEVER sign in to your Paypal account from an email link.

And, to make your Paypal account bullet-proof, visit the security center in your Paypal account and buy one of their security keys for $5.  It puts a separate, randomly-generated numerical password on your account that changes every 30 seconds and cannot be hijacked, even if the scammer has your password.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

The email is fake, commonly called a phishing email.

I hope you did not use the link in the email to go to your Paypal account - if you did, you have given a scammer your paypal account name and password and they can clean you out at will, as well as downloading a keylogger spyware onto your computer.

NEVER sign in to your Paypal account from an email link.

And, to make your Paypal account bullet-proof, visit the security center in your Paypal account and buy one of their security keys for $5.  It puts a separate, randomly-generated numerical password on your account that changes every 30 seconds and cannot be hijacked, even if the scammer has your password.

Login to Me Too

tacotton509
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you surplusdealdude!  I appreciate your candor!  I did not use the link on that particular e-mal ...call it a gut feeling!  Thought I would reach out to  everyone and see if this was a fake or not,( which it was).

Thanks again! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.