Question about eBay item offering to buy the item.

jdawg183
Contributor
Contributor

I am selling a Droid X on eBay. I posted it yesterday, and today received a "question" about it. I received an email through eBay that says this:

"Hi im looking to buy my son a gift and this and this looks 
great and im willing to pay you $645 and thats including 
overnight through fedex to brooklyn, ny all i would need is 
your paypalemail address"

If it is through paypal, am I protected? If I give him my email address, is there anyway this can bite me? Currently the Droid X is selling for about $500 online, however; mine is slightly different from the rest, as it has an OS upgrade that the rest have not received yet. If it did not have that upgrade, I would know it was a scam, but as is, I am not sure. I dont know that it is worth that much though. Suggestions?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

coco02

Weird...i'm selling 2 phones, Droid Eris and Motorola rival. I got an email stating this lady wants to buy them for her son away at school. I got a paypal confirmation that they are holding funds until i send a tracking number. This lady also states that she will pay to have it shipped overseas---i'm looking in my paypal account and don't see anything, so where did the payment confirmation come from (btw...my item was being sold on craigs list)

Login to Me Too

jdawg183
Contributor
Contributor

I have done some looking around, and as to your situation, it looks like it is a scam. Ignore the email that you received and from a new window go to www.paypal.com and log in and see if it shows that it is pending until you enter that number. According to the thread linked to below, it is probably fake.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Fraud-phishing-and-spoof/is-it-true-that-you-have-to-input-a-tra...

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@coco02 wrote:

Weird...i'm selling 2 phones, Droid Eris and Motorola rival. I got an email stating this lady wants to buy them for her son away at school. I got a paypal confirmation that they are holding funds until i send a tracking number. This lady also states that she will pay to have it shipped overseas---i'm looking in my paypal account and don't see anything, so where did the payment confirmation come from (btw...my item was being sold on craigs list)

Yours is also a scam - the email from Paypal was a fake - forward it to spoof@paypal.com for confirmation.

Do not ship the items, you're never going to get paid for them.

The scammer will make threats to have your paypal account cancelled and to report you to the FBI  - ignore them.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@jdawg183 wrote:

I am selling a Droid X on eBay. I posted it yesterday, and today received a "question" about it. I received an email through eBay that says this:

"Hi im looking to buy my son a gift and this and this looks 
great and im willing to pay you $645 and thats including 
overnight through fedex to brooklyn, ny all i would need is 
your paypalemail address"

If it is through paypal, am I protected? If I give him my email address, is there anyway this can bite me? Currently the Droid X is selling for about $500 online, however; mine is slightly different from the rest, as it has an OS upgrade that the rest have not received yet. If it did not have that upgrade, I would know it was a scam, but as is, I am not sure. I dont know that it is worth that much though. Suggestions?

It's a scam - you'll get a fake email from Paypal telling you to enter a tracking number before payment shows in your account.

There is no money and never will be.

If you use Google Maps on the Brooklyn address, it'll show the address doesn't exist - the parcel will be redirected to Nigeria as soon as they have the tracking number.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.