Paypal buyer offers to send more than purchase price, Western Union + fee $600 returned by me, SCAM?

robkre
Contributor
Contributor

I received a reply by email from a buyer that looks suspicious and his spelling is strange. Should I drop the whole encounter or if he actually sends the money, go along with it?Hi, Thanks for getting back to me with your PayPal email address. I
had a small problem with my pickup agent they are requesting for pick
up fee before they can carry out my subject. I will add $600 to cover
the fee and $50 to cover the western union charges. I'm very sorry I
would have send them the money through PayPal directly but the only
form of payment they accept at there head quarter is Western Union
payment. The total amount I will be transferring now is $2,270 so you
will be sending the $600 to there address via western union when you
have received the total amount via PayPal.

Your urgent response is needed before proceeding with the payment.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@robkre wrote:

I received a reply by email from a buyer that looks suspicious and his spelling is strange. Should I drop the whole encounter or if he actually sends the money, go along with it?

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me with your PayPal email address. I

Thanks.

Hi robkre;

I'l bet you $1B this is a scam. I've seen this type of scam before. And you'll get a fake routing number from Western Union and not have a changce to pick it up before the "courier" picks up the vehicle and then you'll be out the vehicle and the money.

Leave this one alone, I'd suggest. Unless you can get them to put money in an escrow site somewhere, or you have an established Western Union account (which some people do) that you could verify the money was there and transfered to your bank before the person took possession of the vehicle and you both agreed upon these terms,...

But honestly - I'd say stay FAR FAR AWAY.

SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Best of luck.

Raven

Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@Raveninred wrote:

@robkre wrote:

I received a reply by email from a buyer that looks suspicious and his spelling is strange. Should I drop the whole encounter or if he actually sends the money, go along with it?

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me with your PayPal email address. I

Thanks.

Hi robkre;

I'l bet you $1B this is a scam. I've seen this type of scam before. And you'll get a fake routing number from Western Union and not have a changce to pick it up before the "courier" picks up the vehicle and then you'll be out the vehicle and the money.

Leave this one alone, I'd suggest. Unless you can get them to put money in an escrow site somewhere, or you have an established Western Union account (which some people do) that you could verify the money was there and transfered to your bank before the person took possession of the vehicle and you both agreed upon these terms,...

But honestly - I'd say stay FAR FAR AWAY.

SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Best of luck.

Raven

PS - "Urgent Response" - dead giveaway it's probably from another country. Stay away.

Login to Me Too

emailme
New Community Member

Got similar one this morning and looks like they are using the same tempate for the scam..

Email details:
---------------------------------------------------

Received: Saturday, 18 June, 2011, 2:10 AM

Thanks for the swift response and do as well advise on the least amount you will like to give it away as i am buying this for Dad and due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.

As for the payment..i can only pay via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal) here.

I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included and With the issue of my details,transferring the name of ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the courier services company agent so you don't have to worry about that.

You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www paypal com and sign up its very easy... i would have loved to talk to you on phone but i work mainly offshore, our phone is down on the rig right now due to bad weather, that was why i sent you a text, i even wonder how my message deliver to your phone but for now we can only communicate through the same mailing channel.await your reply asap.

-----------------------------------------------
and then...

Received: Saturday, 18 June, 2011, 8:37 AM

Thanks so much for getting back to me and for concluding about selling this item to my dad,i really appreciate it,i am going to transfer the money into your account right now but before i do that,i will like to add the sum of $350 to the amount we agreed on and i will like to know if you would help me to transfer it to my shipping agent via western union money transfer here in West Africa.I would ve love to do this myself but currently i am very busy on ocean because i am a sailor and there is no where on the sea i could send the money and the only payment method the shipping agent accepted is western union.I would be very happy if you would help me and i want you to get back to me with your reply so i can transfer everything together and get back to you as soon as POSSIBLE will also pay all the paypal charges.

Regards
-------------------------------------------------------

Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@emailme wrote:

Got similar one this morning and looks like they are using the same tempate for the scam..

Email details:
---------------------------------------------------
Received: Saturday, 18 June, 2011, 2:10 AM

Thanks for the swift response and do as well advise on the least amount you will like to give it away as i am buying this for Dad and due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.

As for the payment..i can only pay via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal) here.

I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included and With the issue of my details,transferring the name of ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the courier services company agent so you don't have to worry about that.

You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www paypal com and sign up its very easy... i would have loved to talk to you on phone but i work mainly offshore, our phone is down on the rig right now due to bad weather, that was why i sent you a text, i even wonder how my message deliver to your phone but for now we can only communicate through the same mailing channel.await your reply asap.

and then...
Received: Saturday, 18 June, 2011, 8:37 AM

Thanks so much for getting back to me and for concluding about selling this item to my dad,i really appreciate it,i am going to transfer the money into your account right now but before i do that,i will like to add the sum of $350 to the amount we agreed on and i will like to know if you would help me to transfer it to my shipping agent via western union money transfer here in West Africa.I would ve love to do this myself but currently i am very busy on ocean because i am a sailor and there is no where on the sea i could send the money and the only payment method the shipping agent accepted is western union.I would be very happy if you would help me and i want you to get back to me with your reply so i can transfer everything together and get back to you as soon as POSSIBLE will also pay all the paypal charges.

Regards
-------------------------------------------------------

Wow. Hi, emailme. Looks like the tried it on you too. At least they're consistant.

Yeah, pretty much what I thought - out of country SCAM - probably Nigerian. Why are they so bad with these scams in Nigeria - did they just get broadband for free there or something? I mean the number of criminal schemes originating from Nigeria kind of makes it funny/not so funny that we have to call it Nigerian Scams. Look to your right in the "Most Popular Tags"...do you see it? Nigeria? Scam? I do, anyway, right this instant.

Yeah, at least I'd be consistant with my advice here and stay as far away as possible from these jokers. And they'll keep trying with you the entire time you have your item listed, so just *inhale* breathe *exhale* and keep calm and know that they're a nuisance like a loud shrill puppy or child, but eventually you learn to tune it out, or it grows out of that phase.

emailme - one note - I changed - in my version of your post - the email and name of the person you were dealing with. the Community Forum Rules forbid us from posting personal information like that. I suggest you edit it yourself before a Moderator comes along and kindly reminds you. Woman Very Happy  Just a thought....

Best of luck to you both...

Raven

Login to Me Too

robkre
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sure glad a few others have experienced this same scam. Now I can proceed with staying away from him and looking for other opportunities. I never reallized Paypal deals with lots of ways people mess with a member's account which leads to legal or other hassles. I better watch my habits.  Thanks for the input, robkre.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.