Latest Scam? Proxy vote for Mutual Fund holders

remxllc
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Shareholder:

Please find below important information concerning Proxy Materials for the PayPal Money Market Fund. Please read these instructions carefully before proceeding. Your vote is important!

NOTICE OF MEETING and PROXY STATEMENT:  http://www.kingproxy.com/paypal

Special Meeting of PayPal Money Market Fund shareholders to be held: February 24, 2011

For shareholders as of: December 27, 2010

HOW TO VOTE:

You can vote through the Internet or by touchtone telephone.  Either way, you will need the CONTROL NUMBER(S) below.

PayPal Funds: PayPal Money Market Fund

CONTROL NUMBER: 18060700319446 (use this number to cast your vote)

• To vote through the Internet, visit http://www.kingproxy.com/paypal and follow the on-line instructions.
  • To vote by touchtone telephone, call 1-800-791-3320, and follow the recorded instructions.

QUESTIONS: Call 1-800-791-3320

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

To access the electronic Proxy Materials, you may need Adobe Acrobat Reader software.  This software is available for download at no cost at http://www.adobe.com.  Downloading time may be slow.

Copies of the Fund’s most recent annual and semi-annual reports to shareholders have previously been electronically furnished to shareholders.  Additional copies of any of these documents are available on the Trust’s internet website at www.paypal.com, and may be obtained without charge by emailing customer service at service @ paypal.com (edited to exclude link) or by calling 1-888-215-5506.

To request a paper copy of Proxy Materials relating to this proxy, please call 1-800-791-3320.

Thank you!

PayPal Funds

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Amanda411

Hi All,

I apologize for any confusion!

This is a legitimate email from PayPal.

Amanda

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
52 REPLIES 52

rudedude
Contributor
Contributor

I got one and was wondering the same thing. All searches on the paypal site for KingProxy, KingProxy.com, or "King Proxy" are coming up empty which is highly suspicious to me.

Login to Me Too

Tony-C
New Community Member

I'd be curious too...  Your control number is several digits different from mine, so at least we know it's not a straight cut and paste...  At least they put SOME effort into it!  LOL

Login to Me Too

HopeForPack
Contributor
Contributor

CONTROL NUMBER: 18060300396003 (use this number to cast your vote) 

I've gotten one too. Also different "Control Number". Is this phishing?

Login to Me Too

RK44
Contributor
Contributor

I also received one of these, and I do have a paypal account (unlike many of the phishing emails I receive for bank of Australia.....)

I am pretty certain it's a scam of some sort but as I have not visited their web site I do not know what they ask (and i'm not going to risk it either).

However - the email is addressed  "dear shareholder" - .I would expect genuine Paypal communications to address me by name. There are also no  logos or other niceties in the email - just plain text with better grammar and more natural phraseology than most phishing emails..

On the other hand, all the links in the email appear to be geniuine..  to adobe, to paypal, and to email paypal... and the email is a single message addressed to me. also a good sign.

On balance though, it smells like a scam. I would, however, welcome a statement from Paypal

Login to Me Too

remxllc
Contributor
Contributor

I sent it on to spoof @ paypal.com

Login to Me Too

chonton
New Community Member
My control number was different. The 800 number belongs to D.F. King, a proxy solicitation firm. What made me think this might be a scam was 1. connection with PayPal, a standard phishing target and 2. I didn't know I had any funds in this Money Market account. On the other had, this looks a lot like the proxy solicitations I get for stock votes. I just looked up my PayPal balance, it turns out I have $.01. Hmm, I think I have to pay closer attention to my money.
Login to Me Too

remxllc
Contributor
Contributor

I took the plunge and went to the link. It is legit if you have a Paypal account that earns interest you are in the class being solicited for your vote.

Paypal - since I know you are monitoring this forum - $300,000 for a proxy service company and you don't "approve" a more clear cut email? You happen to have the most scammed accounts in the world and the email I posted above this morning certainly has to be right up there with the best looking scams instead of the powerful business tool it could have been.

So, it is not a scam.

PLEASE DO NOT POST FURTHER MESSAGES TO THIS THREAD

Login to Me Too

rudedude
Contributor
Contributor

I couldn't agree more with remxllc. They don't have any information on their site about proxy voting or kingproxy. Also, kingproxy did not send the e-mail from an email server with domain keys so gmail didn't tell me it came from a registered source.

Login to Me Too
Solved

Amanda411

Hi All,

I apologize for any confusion!

This is a legitimate email from PayPal.

Amanda

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.