Information about Recent Hacking Claims

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Everyone,

The PayPal blog has posted an article regarding recent news you may have heard, regarding a group of hackers, who claim to have released PayPal account information to the public.  To be clear, the PayPal site has not been breached or hacked in any way. 

For the full story, please visit the PayPal Blog. 

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

Bun
New Community Member

Today I received two e-mails from an address using the Pay Pal name.  It indicated there was a problem with my Credit Card.  I immediately erased the two messages but I was left with a lingering doubt because the address they gave seemed legitimate.

Is it possible this might have been from Pay Pal? 

Login to Me Too

reeses4me

I got some too. Id say more but for some reason I cant give you all the information about the emails I got. I get a not permitted error. Oh well.

Login to Me Too

dmatkin

I don't know what you would call it, but someone got into my paypal account and attempted to take $400 out of it, but only $50 went through.  Something happened, I can tell you that!

Login to Me Too

reeses4me

I am going to check out the blog you mentioned but I am wondering why I am reading all these emails about people having money put into  their accounts by some unknown so and so, then it's taken back, then 49.99 is taken out by Microsoft Corp. They say they didn't authorize it and the claims are being investigated. Meanwhile, they don't have the money back yet. I have some auto payments set up for two different places. I"m worried enough at that to start wondering if I should cancel them and pay with my bank until this is cleared up. I don't want to get ripped off then have to jump through hoops and then not get my money back till gosh knows when. I love using pay pal. I need my pay pal fix. How do we protect ourselves from this scam?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

jerryboy
New Community Member

I read your message and yeah you should probably not wait on paypal for this. I have had two transactions of $74.99 each sent to Microsoft. I have disputed the transactions, of course. Some gal named Gail with no shipping address gets into my account, orders who knows what from Microsoft, not once but twice. Paypal says they are investigating and IF they find reason of foul play they will put my money back. They give the other party a week to respond and then they determine what to do next. It has been well over a week since they contacted the other party and nothing. 

Login to Me Too

Shamus87
New Community Member

Funny-

My account just got hacked for $1550.00 to an UNVERIFIED account in Italy.  Paypal of course, even when alerted to the fraud, put it thru to my bank account anyway, because "once a transaction is placed it must go thru".  Talk about a load of BS.  After 10 years I am closing my Paypal and ebay accounts forever. 

I am filing suit on this one, I will no longer be pushed around by the idiots who treat me like a number.  Well Paypal, I got your number, and I am on a crusade.

Login to Me Too

RHGM
New Community Member

I recently learned that someone used my debit card and bought items using palpay including subscriptions to products that are sent monthly. I am lucky that my bank is helping me with this problem. I am not internet savvy and I don't know how this could happen. I only buy books through the interent.  I know I will never buy another thing off the internet.

Login to Me Too

simplyunhooked
New Community Member

In October several associates told me bank accounts with debit cards associated with their Pay Pal accounts were comprimised. I disconnected my debit cards from PayPal and closed my business debit card at my bank, but not my personal one. A couple of weeks ago somebody in Georgia tried to buy $250 worth of stuff at a Target on my personal account. My bank is working with me. This has happened to other people in my geographical area since. Now when I see claims of how safe PayPal is, I don't believe it.

Login to Me Too

art72
New Community Member

While I haven't received any suspicious emails, tonight I found my PayPal account was hit for 2 unauthorized transactions totaling $212.87.  In absolution, this is my first negative experience or fraud claim, and I trust PayPal will get my money back to me.

More importantly though, I am now highly concerned as to "How" exactly could someone get in my account, authorize 2 transactions, and actually have nearly drained my bank account?

Needless to say, it's 4:48 am, I have work at 7:30, and this has my brain racked!

Now, with several established recurring payments set up to automatical withdraw from my bank account, several payment buttons tied to my newly built websites, and no clue how this person(s) got into my account?..... to say I am worried is an understatement!

Another learning curve....ouch!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.