I'm in a bad position

MFitzmaurice7
Contributor
Contributor

Hey everyone, I'm in a spot of bother.

Recently, I got talking to a 'friend' of mine who runs a Minecraft server. He offered a sum of £70 to help him build on his server and maintain it for him. Of course I agreed, I could do with some money for such an easy set of tasks right?

Wrong, this 'easy money' has put me in a very bad predicament. He knew exactly what he was doing, as he sent the money as if it were for physical goods so he could dispute the transaction and get the money back. I was a bit weary when he mentioned this at the time, but I thought that as long as I kept up my side of the deal, which I intended to and still intend to do, it would be no problem. However, now he threatens me quite often to dispute the transaction for ridiculous things, such as not letting him call me 'Fitz' which I hate, or giving my friend a game for free.

With the money in my account being mostly spent now, I have no choice but to do exactly as he says. This situation is extremely stressful for me, especially when I have important exams this month and likely over the next few months, as it takes away study time whilst I am forced to do exactly as he says.

I wanted to know if what he was threatening me with is legal, and what to do about it. Can someone please help? This is really stressing me out.

Thanks in advance

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Bowtome
Contributor
Contributor

Toughy.

Did you do what he asked you to do? If so he paid you for what you have done and he can't reclaim it.

If you didn't do what he asked, not some silly call me fritz or whatever then he is entitled to a refund.

Login to Me Too

MFitzmaurice7
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't fully done what I said I would because it'll be over time, but I do intend to work for what he paid me as it's only fair, but him holding it over me to call me annoying nicknames or other unrelated things seems unfair and is rather annoying.

Login to Me Too

Bowtome
Contributor
Contributor

He contracted you to do something, you are doing it, he is not entitled to a refund.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.