Has my account been hacked?

jdconsumer
New Community Member

I was purchasing something today, and accidentally clicked on change my address instead of what I usually click on which is change my payment options. However what scared me is I noticed there are a lot of address options listed which were not and never were mine. Where did these address suggestions come from? Some were from people with names different than mine, and some had my name but addresses I've never been to.

Has my account been compromised in some way, and they are just waiting to make charges and ship to these accounts?

I just changed my password just in case that stops them in some way, but I'm a little worried. I haven't seen any unauthorized charges yet, but hackers tend to build up for one fell swoop.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi costumer, and welcome to the forums!

If you've ever purchased a gift for someone in the past through PayPal and shipped to their address, it may be retained in your account as a gift address. Gift addresses are usually visible in checkout on the site where they were added. If you would like to confirm that these addresses are in fact recorded in your account, you can call Customer Solutions and speak to a representative. You can read off the address you are seeing, and the representative can find the payment that caused it to be added to the record. If the representative doesn't see a record of the address, then I would consider that to be something specific to the site you're visiting, and would suggest that you examine that site with additional skepticism and caution.

You can reach Customer Solutions by clicking "Contact Us" at the bottom of any PayPal.com page.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.