HELP! I'm not sure if this is a scam

kelcigrif
New Community Member

I am selling an iPhone on craigslist and the buyer wants to pay through paypal. I recieved an email saying that a pending payment has been sent and once I send the item and reply to paypal with the tracking number, I will recieve the money. This all seems legitimate, but the problem is I can't find the "pending payment" on my account. I have never recieved money over paypal, just sent it...so maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Help fast!!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Andy

kelcgrif- Yeah, that doesn't sound quite right.  As you stated, you should be able to see a payment in your account, even if it is pending.  There are cases where we will hold the payment until delivery is confirmed, but you would still see it in your pending balance.  So I would definitely not send the item until you can see the payment.

Andy

Login to Me Too

nme00108
Contributor
Contributor

I wouldn't send the item(s)  either. I sold my laptop on craiglist/facebook and I got the same pending payment email. When I emailed paypal to verify everything, they said the person's account had been reported in for being a scammer or spamming. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.