Facebook.Inc unauthorized charges on my paypal account

angelica7719
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday, I got an email from paypal that states I purchased facebook credits from FB for $160!...WTF! I don't even put any paypal information on my facebook account. I even don't know what FB credits is. How did they do this? Will I ever get a refund? I already filed a dispute in paypal...Any advise is truly welcome..

Thanks a lot.

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

JGromek17
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, I recently found similar transactions on my Paypal account. BUT I found out it was cause someone hacked/phised my e-mail account and then used my e-mail to try and get into other accounts that they could buy stuff with. One of those being FaceBook (luckly not my main FaceBook account, just a second one I had made and forgot about) . I filed disputes and have recieve about $34 back, but the charges were about $100 or more.Cause Paypal says that I purchased them cause something about the IP address being exactly the same everytime.(which I know is BS, cause I was at work when pretty much all of those charges went through.)

Good Luck to you with your claims, but you shouldn't hold you breath.

Login to Me Too

BDavidson131
New Community Member

This just happened to me! I don't even know what facebook credits are, and I didn't think paypal was even linked to my facebook. It just happened this morning...any tips on how to proceed?

Login to Me Too

rockinthesixstr
Contributor
Contributor

I had the exact same thing as well.

I've had 4 charges (2 at a time) each at around $20 ($80 in total)

After the first 2 charges, I changed my password and all other credentials... but they still got in.

I've filed a dispute with PayPal, but I don't know how long it's going to take.

I can't figure out how to avoid this since changing my password did nothing.

Login to Me Too

rockinthesixstr
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I phoned in.

1. My PayPal account was NOT hacked
  2. My Facebook account was NOT hacked

Evidently a merchant that I've delt with has been hacked. Not sure how they're taking my funds tho. I've had to remove all funding sources till PayPal sorts this out. She said I'll get my $$$ back very soon.

UPDATE:

As I'm typing this I got a notification from PayPal saying the Billing Agreement with Facebook has been cancelled. Strange because when I was in my PayPal account, I had NO billing agreements with ANYONE.

Login to Me Too

AlexisMedici
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing here. $50 was charged from PP FACEBOOK INC. while I was asleep. I called my bank, who said that since the transaction was still processing they couldn't do anything yet; when all of a sudden I got another email saying my money had been refunded. When I finally remebered what my paypal password was (I hardly ever use it) my "recent activity" confirmed that it had been refunded, but the money still isn't back in my account! I filed a claim with paypal to investigate, and I'll probably talk to my bank again tomorrow, but what is this crap? I don't even HAVE a facebook...

Login to Me Too

whowhat
Contributor
Contributor

I have had EXACTLY the same thing happen to me today.

I came home and found 6 different unauthorised payments to Facebook Inc and Facebook Ireland! Four were for $50 and two were for $20... a total of $240.Thankfully, they were all declined by Facebook and I got a refund within 20 minutes of me spotting the emails.

I opened up a dispute with Paypal, asking them to investigate. Not even 30 minutes later they closed the claim, thinking that nothing more was necessary as I got a refund in the end.

I am not entirely happy with this outcome as I feel my online security and Paypal account have been compromised. I'm sure Paypal could dig a bit deeper into the matter - check IP addresses of the person who used my account etc..

I even sent them a link to this thread, but they didn't acknowledge anything.

Login to Me Too

AlexisMedici
Contributor
Contributor

That's rediculous. I don't think they've closed my claim yet, but either way I think I might stop using paypal altogether if they can't provide some sort of decent explanation for me... especially if this is happening to enough people for there to be a thread on it! I'll post here if my claim yeilds any results (before I consider closing my account, that is.)

Login to Me Too

whowhat
Contributor
Contributor

Hey AlexisMedici, I'll appreciate hearing the outcome of your claim. Please keep us updated 🙂

I'll try to phone Paypal tomorrow during my lunch break to get a few answers. Its quite unnerving to open up Paypal and see a whole list of payments you've never made, and frustrating that they don't even acknowledge them as being unauthorised! Oh well, I'll post tomorrow about what they said!

Login to Me Too

joey19982
New Community Member

Same here, I went on last night and my Facebook password had been changed. I reset it, and saw right under it that I had made a payment to Facebook Inc. of $100 for those stupid credits. My account is locked now and Facebook is trying to confirm that I am the owner of the account, while I'm disputing with PayPal trying to get a refund.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.