Email from PaiPayl dispute department

darlington71
Contributor
Contributor

I received an odd email from PayPal with the email address of dispute at paipayl dat com

The email read as follows:

Dear PayPal Member,
This email confirms that you have paid robertoelectronics $439.00 USD using PayPal.
This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL robertoelectronics*".

The email link to DISPUTE jumps to a warning pop-up for reported web forgery.

I didn't really have such a charge, but this is rather odd and disturbing. Anyone else receive similar email messages?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Phreak
Contributor
Contributor

This is (most likely) a phishing attempt from a "hacker" or scammer. The reason the link popped up with a web forgery warning is because users reported the link to Google's Safe Browsing database. Most emails that state "Dear PayPal Member/User" are not legitimate as they do not address you by your real name. The best thing to do with fraudulent emails is to report them, and/or delete them. If you happened to log into the fake page from the link in your email, I highly reccommend changing your password immediately.

Login to Me Too

darlington71
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the confirmation.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Smiley HappyHello everyone!

This is definitely a spoof email.

Any email that addresses you as "PayPal Member" is not from us.

Why?

We always address by the name as it is listed on your account.

When in doubt, forward a suspicious email to spoof@paypal.com for review.  Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

darlington71
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! I was wondering how to warn others about such emails. SPOOF is perfect.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.