Craigslist add SCAM variation of Oceanographer scam, posing as US Navy Nuclear Reactor Operator

jky241
Contributor
Contributor

I reported everything to PayPal and Craigslist. DONT GET SCAMMED !!

I was trying to sell my boat via a craigslist add and was contacted by email asking if it was still for sale. This dirtbag says they work for the US Navy (See Below)

Scam Email #1

Date: January 16, 2012 7:20:26 PM MST
To: Name and Email Removed by poster
Subject: Re: Bass Boat - 03 Smoker Craft Yamaha 115 Outboard - $15000 (Location Removed)
Thanks,i am a U.S. Navy as a nuclear reactor operator on board the USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71). i am at sea right now so l wont be able to check the item so whats the present conditionf, because am buying this for my son as a surprise gift so am willing to offer you the amount you required. I can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online(i don't have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my PayPal account, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay, all i will need is your PayPal email address to pay for it,Present condition and some pictures of it.But if you don't have a PayPal account yet, you can set one up at www.paypal.com it cant take you less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your PayPal email so l can pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payment has been sorted. l will be waiting for your reply asa
- I replied with my PayPal email thinking this might be a real offer. Silly me !!!!!
Scam Email #2
Date: January 21, 2012 12:15:57 PM MST
Subject: Re: Bass Boat - 03 Smoker Craft Yamaha 115 Outboard - $15000 (Location Removed)

I was just about to pay when i had this problem with the pick up, my pick up agent says i will need  to pay for the pick up before they can schedule a pick up time, they charged me $900 for pick up and delivery and also with the insurance fee, and payments for pick up made through them is made to their corporate international headquarters and the payments is made through western union money transfer, i will add the $1,000 to the money i will send through Pay Pal. I will email you as soon as i sent the payment. Please i will need  you to help me send the money to my pick up agent through western union money transfer, this can be done from any post office ,there is always western union money transfer section in most post offices or at the bank. I would have done it myself but we cant bring some of our personal effects along, i am a little incapacitated...I will appreciate your help here
- I started to suspect this was a scam, but replied saying I would send the Western Union as soon as I received the money to see what they would do
Scam Email #3
From: Name and Email Removed by poster (they tried to use a real looking PP email address here)
Date: January 21, 2012 1:17:12 PM MST
Subject: Message From PayPal***Awaiting Your Response ***

PayPal
Payment Confirmation!

Hello Email Removed by poster,

This Message is originated from PayPal Account Section.Regarding the payment made by "Name Removed by poster
"(Email Removed by poster) some minute ago which has not appeared in your PayPal account.In answer to this,we want you to know that the fund has been deducted from the buyer's account and is now pending in our database and won't reflect in your account due to the new policy of PayPal to protect both the buyer and seller from any fraudulent activities.So we strongly advise you to proceed with the transaction,as soon as you send the $900.00 USD to the pick up agent address.Kindly reply back with the Western Union Money Transfer details if possible with the Scan Copy of the western union money transfer receipt to prove that you have send the money to the correct address,so that we can fund the money into your account immediately. 

Note: The money as been deducted from the buyer's account and which can not be reverse back,since the money as been deducted from her account and the transaction as been approved. 

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team.
- This is a pretty real looking email from the scammer, notice the part where it says the transaction has not appeared in your paypal account SCAM !!!, notice the bad english SCAM !!!
Scam Email #4
Date: January 21, 2012 1:19:12 PM MST
Subject: Payment Made.....Kindly get back to me asap

I have just made the payments now and i expect PayPal to have emailed by now if not you can check your spam or junk mail for the confirmation,i sent $16,000 in all, to (Email Removed by poster) i added $1,000 meant for pick up and delivery and the western union fee,they said they have emailed you to this effect, you will need to send the $900 to my pick up agent Headquarters via western union money transfer,so that PayPal can credit the $16,000 into your account as soon as you have emailed the western union details to them, i added extra $100 to cover the western union charges which shouldn't be more than $100 Here is the pick up agent info needed to get the money sent through western union money transfer:

Name Removed by poster,
Street Address Removed by poster,
Lauderhill
Florida,
USA.

I will need the details of the transfer once you have sent fund . . .
1.The MTCN number that is the 10  digits number on the Western Union  receipt
2.Sender's name and address used in sending the money
3.Actual amount sent.
- This has SCAM written all over it, trying to get me to send $900 by Western Union before receiving any money or anything in my paypal account. If you read through posts you will see lots of techniques used here in different scams.
- I emailed back and asked for the "pick up agents" phone number and this is the response I got. 
Scam Email #5 - Phishing for my personal info !

Date: January 21, 2012 1:30:21 PM MST
Subject: Re: Payment Made.....Kindly get back to me asap

No I don't have their Phone at the moment but you get me yours,so i can forward it to them and they will call you as soon as they are ready for the Pick up and also Kindly let me know as soon as you send the money..

Thanks.
- Sure I will send my phone number right over along with my DOB, SSN, Home Address and bank account numbers.
I reported everything to PayPal and Craigslist. DONT GET SCAMMED !!

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.