Can somone scam me using Gift option

NickVelas
Contributor
Contributor

Okay so I'm trying to sell a virtual account and I know a kid online that wants to gift me money for it.. Could he take the account and then get his money back ?So after I give him my account he could just open a dispute and steal my account without paying? Please help.. I'm very cautious

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Andy

NickVelas- It's good that you're cautious.  There's a couple things happening here.  First, there is no protection on PayPal for 'Gift' transactions, so if a dispute is opened it would be closed; we just wouldn't make a decision.  But, if they were to file it as an unauthorized transaction, they would more than likely get their money back and since you would have no Seller Protection, you would be out the money. 😞 

So, in all honestly, PayPal is probably not going to be the best method of payment in this instance.  We're more than happy to move the money for you, and it's a great option if you want to keep your financial information secure, but this type of transaction is highly risky and you would be assuming pretty much all of the risk.  Wish there was better news for you, but I hope this reaches you before anything is permanently done.

Andy

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

PayPal_Andy

NickVelas- It's good that you're cautious.  There's a couple things happening here.  First, there is no protection on PayPal for 'Gift' transactions, so if a dispute is opened it would be closed; we just wouldn't make a decision.  But, if they were to file it as an unauthorized transaction, they would more than likely get their money back and since you would have no Seller Protection, you would be out the money. 😞 

So, in all honestly, PayPal is probably not going to be the best method of payment in this instance.  We're more than happy to move the money for you, and it's a great option if you want to keep your financial information secure, but this type of transaction is highly risky and you would be assuming pretty much all of the risk.  Wish there was better news for you, but I hope this reaches you before anything is permanently done.

Andy

Login to Me Too

NickVelas
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Andy. I'll just not sell it then or eventually find somone in real life to hand me cash for it!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.