Being paid via PayPal - can this be a scam?

MickM
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling a previous generation brand new 32GB iPod for $250 on the Boston Craigs List. A new current generation one from Apple costs $300. So I get an email from a guy in Africa claiming he'd pay me $250 plus an extra $100 shipping and that he'd pay me via PayPal (provided I forward him the PayPal email address).

This has scam written all over it (and I'm certainly not proceeding with the transaction), but if he's paying in advance via PayPal then I'm scratching my head as to how this guy can scam me. Any ideas?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Yes, you can be scammed very easily.

Yes, the guy can pay you and then file a claim/chargeback.   He will end up with both the item and his money back.

Reg flags, your selling on Craigs List, the buyer is from Africa and your selling a hot item - an Ipod.   Don't go there, as you will only loose and then blame PayPal.

Regards,

skier

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
63 REPLIES 63
Solved

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Yes, you can be scammed very easily.

Yes, the guy can pay you and then file a claim/chargeback.   He will end up with both the item and his money back.

Reg flags, your selling on Craigs List, the buyer is from Africa and your selling a hot item - an Ipod.   Don't go there, as you will only loose and then blame PayPal.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

MickM
Contributor
Contributor

So if ANY disreputable person can successfully file a fraudulent claim/chargeback then you are basically saying that PayPal is corruptible and no longer a viable method of transacting a sale. If even a scammer from Africa can always get away with this then there is no hope. How sad that PayPal has come to this...

Login to Me Too

reginamarie08
Contributor
Contributor

This happened to me about a week ago. I just simply started playing their game. I provided them with a fake shipping number, and every other day I stay in contact with them saying that the shipment is on it's way hahaha. They want to think I'm dumb?? Well little do they know, they're the ones getting played!!!! Because they're sitting around waiting for their shipment to come in and I'm just sitting back laughing!!

[[I posted a 32GB unlocked iPhone on ebay]]

Login to Me Too

theguyonpp

I agree, all signs of this this email are definitely RED FLAG for scam

HOWEVER

What has Paypal done to combat this type of transaction from happening? 

Why does it seem like so many of these types of bait and snatch transactions occur(why does it seem like everytime the seller is short ended)? 

Why is there no such thing as SELLER PROTECTION as there is BUYER protection?  I don't see how there is anyway possible way a Seller can ever know if a Paypal transaction is actually that from the person who they are dealing with (thus rendering it not "an unauthorized transaction").

What of the people that are just trying to make honest livings or sales through online transactions using PayPal as their main (and most likely conveinant) means? .

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@theguyonpp wrote:

I agree, all signs of this this email are definitely RED FLAG for scam

HOWEVER

What has Paypal done to combat this type of transaction from happening? 

Why does it seem like so many of these types of bait and snatch transactions occur(why does it seem like everytime the seller is short ended)? 

Why is there no such thing as SELLER PROTECTION as there is BUYER protection?  I don't see how there is anyway possible way a Seller can ever know if a Paypal transaction is actually that from the person who they are dealing with (thus rendering it not "an unauthorized transaction").

What of the people that are just trying to make honest livings or sales through online transactions using PayPal as their main (and most likely conveinant) means? .

If you have a way to stop them that will work, I'm all ears and I'll make sure Paypal hears about it.

Login to Me Too

Gatorgurl7

I just went through this scam today and i am just finding out about it!  i am freaking out so bad right know! what should i do to get my phone back that i already shipped earlier today?

Login to Me Too

reginamarie08
Contributor
Contributor

Depending on what service you used to ship it, you MAY be able to put a "VOID" on it. Contact the shipping service that you used.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@Gatorgurl7 wrote:

I just went through this scam today and i am just finding out about it!  i am freaking out so bad right know! what should i do to get my phone back that i already shipped earlier today?

Contact the post office immediately.

Sometimes they can retrieve it if it hasn't left the country yet.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.