3rd party request tracking # to release funds?

Promantis
Contributor
Contributor

At the buyers request, I recently sent a PayPal money request to his email (xxx.gmail.com) for an item sold on Craigslist.   The next day, I recieved a "confirmation of funds" from PayPal.  It requested that I send an email with the Tracking Number to a third party "securebanking(at)accountant.com" Here is the message...

This is a confirmation email of the payment of $230.00USD you received from Mark Chris what is required of you in order for your account to be credited is the item's tracking/reference number, this number will be given to you at the courier office after you might have sent the item to the bearer, this is part of our new policy and a security measure in order to protect both the buyer and the seller, also to verify if the item was really bought from you we have sent you a confirmation email earlier to inform you that the payment is legal and has been confirmed, also to guide you against fraudulent acts.

We have included the buyer's full name and amount paid for you to know this message was really sent from PayPal. We advise that you make sure the item is sent out as soon as possible and request for a tracking number at the post office after you might have sent out the item, then you can email us the number by replying directly to this message after it might have been given to you at the courier office so as to credit your account without delay.

After we receive the number from you for security verification, your account will be credited at once, Our system has witness new upgrades, Please don't be surprised if you see us forwarding you to new customer attendants, its due to the amount of fraud going on involving our name which we are trying all our best to limit and put a stop to. As soon as we receive the requested information from you, your account will be credited. 

I am skeptical as there is no reference of anything in my PayPal account regarding this.  I would think that there would be a message for me in my PayPal account as well as one being sent to my general email address.  Something smell fishy.

Any suggestions? Maybe I am just being paranoid?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi Promantis,

Welcome to the forum!

You're smart to be skeptical when receiving an email like this. You can always check an email's validity by going to PayPal.com in your browser window and logging into your account and looking for the transaction described. If it is not there, you should be suspicious of the email. You can also forward any suspicious emails to spoof@paypal.com for review.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.