Two $1 charges from PayPal?

PenGuy
Contributor
Contributor

I just saw that PayPal charged me $1 twice and I have no idea why. When I asked "Sarah," she said it was some charge during the verification process even though I already verified the two small deposits. Now she says I need some sort of PayPal code and to enter it somewhere, which is quite vague. Where do I find this code and where do I enter it so that I am reimbursed?

I just want to sell some things on eBay, but after reading through the FIRST page here, it seems like there are hidden fees and fees you can't possibly know about all over the place. It just seems ridiculous and not worth the hassle. Perhaps I'll sell my items elsewhere..

Thank you.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

First, the good news - these aren't permanent charges.  You'll receive them back.  Smiley Happy

Whenever you register or edit a credit or debit card on PayPal, we verify the card information.  Card processors do this by submitting what is known as an authorization charge for $1.  This allows us to make sure the card information is accurate, thereby keeping everyone who uses PayPal safe.  Since they're only temporary charges, the card issuer releases them, although how long they will hold the dollar is actually up to the card issuer.  I know that with our own PayPal Debit MasterCard, the longest we will hold one is for five days.  Your actual card issuer may vary, though, so if you need them released, reach out directly to your card company.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

PenGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your quick response. So all you're saying I have to do is wait it out and the money will be refunded automatically?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

It sure will!  Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

pianodan
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same question. Now I'll just wait for the charges to disappear.

Login to Me Too

krl109
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem, too. Except I was only charged $1 once. Soo I guess that'll be refunded back too?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

You got it, 1, 2, or even 3, the rule will apply.  Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

PenGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the charges indeed disappeared. Thank you for the quick response when I posted about it before!

Login to Me Too

betterlate111
Contributor
Contributor

My daughter says that the $1 charge has never gone away for the past three consecutive months.  Each month about the same time, PayPal deducts $1 from her bank account.  Her online statements still show these charges.  They have not disappeared.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

betterlate111,

She should definitely talk to her bank then, because we don't keep the $1 authorizations.  Her bank, however, may be opting to maintain a hold on the funds - which is definitely unusual.  She'll want to have them show her on her statements when they gave them back.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.