Getting CHARGED a fee to pay with my PayPal or Credit Card....

MelanyTexas
Contributor
Contributor

I thought it was against TOS rules to CHARGE someone a fee on a website, if they are paying via PayPal or Credit card? I was ordering from a website today (www.tdazzled.com) and I clicked "view my cart" and was about to checkout when I noticed the section "Paypal/Credit Card Processing Fee".

It was RIGHT between the taxes and subtotal. Is this allowed? I thought they cannot CHARGE you to use PayPal as its a free thing to use to PAY with. Also, isnt this against credit card rules that people charge you to use them? It just seems weird that I have to PAY to PAY with paypal/credit. lol

Help?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

PayPal_JasonD
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention MelanyTexas, and you're right, you shouldn't have to pay extra fees just to pay using PayPal to pay online.  That's why we have made it against our Terms and Conditions to charge such surcharges.  I have escalated your report for further review.

Have a good one

Login to Me Too

MelanyTexas
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick response Jason! And thank you for the answer as well! 🙂

Login to Me Too

inot
Contributor
Contributor

As a ebay seller I wonder if you clarify this situation please.

I am frequently getting a fee amount taken off my final amount paid by a buyer.  Having searched this on Paypal it says it is because it has been paid by credit card or debit card (or payment has been drawn into the Paypal account rather than taken from funds in Paypal account). It also says payer can opt to pay this fee themselves.

I am sick & tired of having to pay these fees (they soon add up) and feel the buyer/ account holder that is paying should pay their own fees as they have incurred them by the way they use their account.  How can I stop having to accept these fees on credits from buyers please? Am I entitledd to ask them to repay them to me? Can I insist they pay their own fees and not pass themthrough to me?

Feel this is simply a reasonable expectation.

Login to Me Too

inot
Contributor
Contributor
Why arent payers on ebay made to pay their own fees incurred to make the payment.  Why are they passed onto receiving account?
Login to Me Too

spawn
Contributor
Contributor

What you need to do is make up for that in handling fees or something on ebay. I do not like it either, however it would be unreasonable to tell people to put money into their paypal accounts where they have no access to it unless they have a paypal debit card, or are using th internet to pay for something. Most of the time when I'm having trouble selling on Ebay, money gets withdrawn from my debit card or bank account into my paypal. A solution to this would be to have in your listings, a warning/notice that states for your buyers not to pay immediately and transfer funds into their paypal before paying so you do not get that charge. It's up to you. Good luck.

Login to Me Too

And
Contributor
Contributor
So not only was I charged a $5 fee for purchasing our family photos with paypal but today I made a bid on an eBay item. They emailed me I won. I went to eBay, followed the link to paypal to take care of my order. It was already done! seems my book was paid for within 3 minutes of the auction ending without my knowledge. Pretty sure I'm supposed to give the ok to pay someone from my account. Looks like once the invoice was made paypal simply took care of it..Ridiculous! Seriously considering dropping paypal once and for all!
Login to Me Too

spawn
Contributor
Contributor

Honestly I think that you may have made a mistake and paid it yourself somehow. However, you probably also have Ebay authorized to remove money for fee and such, therefore nothing has been done to wrong you. Check it out, just go to your profile section on Paypal, and look at authorized merchants or something like that and it will show you who is allowed to take money from your acount.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.