please explain the fees

xxxteejxxx
New Community Member

I am new to Paypal so could someone explain the fees?  I have a few questions on them.

1)  Somebody just sent me $10 (not from ebay) and when I check my account online it shows the $10 but when I check my balance with my iphone app it only shows $9.41 deposited.  What gives?

2)  Same situation with ebay.  I know ebay charges for selling but when I sell something for $3, plus $3 to ship, my iphone shows a deposit of $5.53 and my online account shows $6.  Is the $5.53 already with the ebay fee taken out?  I ask because I got an invoice from ebay a few days ago for all the things I have sold.  Is this just for my records or are they going to deduct MORE money from my paypal account?

Someone please help!!!  I am confused on how this all works.  I knew ebay charged for use but I thought Paypal was free??

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

As a seller, PayPal deducts the payment processing fee directly out of the funds received - which is why you are seeing a payment for one amount and a deposit for a different amount.  You can view the current fee schedule by clicking on "Fees" at the bottom of any page.

eBay, however, provides a separate auction service and uses a slightly different billing process.  eBay will send you a statement and ask for reimbursement.  If you have a billing agreement with eBay set up on your PayPal account, they will debit you directly through PayPal.  Otherwise, you may need to submit payment directly to eBay or set up payments with eBay.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

Corynthus
Contributor
Contributor

So from your explanation adrian , we customers are paying TWICE for whatr ever we purchase on line..

EXAMPLE: I purchase a laptop Ebay . So this means that i must pay Ebay for helping me to adversise and sell my product on their site. And no#2 I have ot pay PayPal for helping me to transact ther money that I am to receive or is transfered into any Paypal or other account that is associated with my Pay pal accopunt. , and PayPal will get a fee for this. Hhhhhmmm.. And you said or this company says that MOST on line transactrions are free ?? So thisa means to me Adrian that it is not free after all.. Correct?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

@Corynthus wrote:

And you said or this company says that MOST on line transactrions are free ?? So thisa means to me Adrian that it is not free after all.. Correct?

Both PayPal and eBay openly advertise to sellers that their services do require a fee.

Most transactions are free for buyers, not sellers.  It does not cost a buyer additional money to send a commercial payment to their seller unless a currency conversion is involved, nor does it cost a buyer money to look through eBay pages to find the perfect purchase. 

This process mimics brick and mortar stores, where your local or even national store does not charge you additional money to pay them via check or card, nor do they charge you to walk through their doors and browse the merchandise they have for sale.  However, that same national store is charged by it's merchant bank that processes the payments and must pay to keep and maintain the store its' buyers frequent. 

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.