echeck fee

bluscoot
Contributor
Contributor

I recently sent out a PayPal Invoice for approx $3200 and received notification that an eCheck is on its way.  When I look at the details, I'm told that the fee amount is approx $125, which by my math seems awfully close to 3.9%.  Two concerns:

1)  I though I was going to be charged 2.9% + $0.30 for this transaction, which would put me closer to $93.  Why the difference?  What am I missing?

2)  In several posts in this forum, I find several reference to a $5 maximum fee for eCheck.  How does this pair up with $125 fee that is currently showing on this transaction?

Thanks in advance...

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The $5.00 max on an e-check changed months ago.  E-check fees are now the same as any other funded paypal method.

The standard rate is 2.9% plus 30 cents.  You were charged 3.9% plus 30 cents because it was a cross border transaction or because it is an international member with a usa paypal account

Login to Me Too

bluscoot
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your response.  I did finally find the explanation of the extra 1% cross-border fee, but the forum went offline "for maintenance" last night before I could get back on to modify my questions.

It's like giving candy to a kid, letting him take off the wrapper, and then just as he is about to put the candy into his mouth, yank it away and laugh at him.  Changing the eCheck fee from $5 max to NO max?  That translates into big money for me.  That little change for PayPal means they get an extra $120 out of my pocket for this one transaction. Just doesn't seem right.  Are the costs that PayPal incurs to process my eCheck really 2500% HIGHER now than they were several months ago?  That's a pretty hefty increase in processing fees.

Hmmm.

If I had realized that eCheck was even a PayPal option, and that my customer was going to select that option, I would've simply let them send a check directly to me...and then I wouldn't be left paying the middle man $125 of my money for no reason.

Login to Me Too

rainy
New Community Member

I hava a similar questions.  I paid a B&B a deposit of CAD$1600 for a reservation via PayPal.  I have had to cancel the reservation due to health reasons.  They agreed to refund my deposit minus paypal fees & 'service charges' which resulted in them keeping $300 of the $1600, ie 18.75%   The B&B is in Mexico but the owners issued the echeck from their Cdn bank account.  They said that echeck was the only option available via PayPal ;o(   So how much would the PayPal fees have been for the initial payment + the echeck refund so I know what they are keeping for 'service charges'?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.