different fees for sending and requesting money

deegan87
Contributor
Contributor
I'm trying to better understand the fee system of PayPal. So, if I send my roommate a money request for utilities, PayPal charges a 2.9% fee if he pays from his bank account, but if my roommate simply sends the same amount from his bank account, there's no fee?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@deegan87 wrote:
I'm trying to better understand the fee system of PayPal. So, if I send my roommate a money request for utilities, PayPal charges a 2.9% fee if he pays from his bank account, but if my roommate simply sends the same amount from his bank account, there's no fee?

link to fees https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&locale.x=en_.... Fees.

8. Fees.

8.1 Fees Overview. Fees are based on whether you are making a Purchase Payment, a Personal Payment or a PayPal Business Payment. Some fees are expressed as a percentage of the payment amount. All Fees are in U.S. Dollars unless otherwise stated.

1. For Purchase Payments, the recipient of the payment will always pay the Fee.
  2. For Personal Payments, the following applies:
    • The Fee depends on the Payment Method you use.
    • The Fee is paid by either the sender or recipient, not both.
    • The sender of the payment generally determines who pays the Fee at the time the sender makes the payment. If you send a Personal Payment from a third party (non-PayPal) website or by using a third party’s product or service, then the third party will determine if the sender or recipient of the Personal Payment will pay the Personal Payment Fee. This will be disclosed to you by the third party before the Personal Payment is initiated.
    • It is free to send a Personal Payment to someone in the United States in U.S. Dollars if you use your bank or Balance as the exclusive Payment Method. If you use a different Payment method to send a Personal Payment, the Fees set out below will apply.
    • Additional Fees apply if you are sending or receiving money to or from a country outside the United States, or transacting in a foreign currency.
    • If you use your credit card as the Payment Method for a Personal Payment, you may be charged a cash-advance fee by your credit card company.
    • In some instances, Personal Payment pricing may not be available. In these instances, all payments must be Purchase Payments.
    • Personal Payments may not be available on non-PayPal websites or other applications that offer you the ability to send a payment from your Account.
    • Personal Payments may not be sent to recipients in certain countries.
  3. For PayPal Business Payments, the PayPal Business Payment Fee is paid by the recipient unless it is disclosed to you before you send the payment that you, the sender, must pay this Fee.

8.2 Domestic Payments in U.S. Dollars. This applies when both the sender and recipient are in the United States, and the payment is in U.S. Dollars.

a.  Domestic Personal Payments in U.S. Dollars. Activity  Payment Method  Personal Payment Fee
Sending or receiving*Exclusively Balance or bank accountFree
Other, including a fully or partially funded payment
by credit or debit card, or PayPal Credit.
2.9% + $0.30 USD
*Sender generally determines whether the sender or recipient pays the Fee. See Section 8.1(b).

b.  Domestic Purchase Payments in U.S. Dollars.

Activity Purchase Payment Fee
Sending (buying)Free
Receiving (selling) Standard rate:2.9% + $0.30 USD
Merchant rates*:Monthly Sales Volume:

$0.01 - $3,000.00
$3,000.01 - $10,000.00
$10,000.01 - $100,000.00
Over $100,000.00
Fee:

2.9% + $0.30 USD
2.5% + $0.30 USD
2.2% + $0.30 USD
1.9% + $0.30 USD
Nonprofit rates**:  

Monthly Donation Volume:

$0.01 - $100,000.00
Over $100,000.00
Fee:

2.2% + $0.30
1.9% + $0.30

*To qualify for our Merchant rates you must submit a one-time application, have qualifying monthly sales volume, and have an Account in good standing.
** Nonprofit rates are only available for registered charities with 501(c)(3) status.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@deegan87 wrote:

link to fees https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&locale.x=en_.... Fees.

8. Fees.

8.1 Fees Overview. Fees are based on whether you are making a Purchase Payment, a Personal Payment or a PayPal Business Payment. Some fees are expressed as a percentage of the payment amount. All Fees are in U.S. Dollars unless otherwise stated.

1. For Purchase Payments, the recipient of the payment will always pay the Fee.
  2. For Personal Payments, the following applies:
    • The Fee depends on the Payment Method you use.
    • The Fee is paid by either the sender or recipient, not both.
    • The sender of the payment generally determines who pays the Fee at the time the sender makes the payment. If you send a Personal Payment from a third party (non-PayPal) website or by using a third party’s product or service, then the third party will determine if the sender or recipient of the Personal Payment will pay the Personal Payment Fee. This will be disclosed to you by the third party before the Personal Payment is initiated.
    • It is free to send a Personal Payment to someone in the United States in U.S. Dollars if you use your bank or Balance as the exclusive Payment Method. If you use a different Payment method to send a Personal Payment, the Fees set out below will apply.
    • Additional Fees apply if you are sending or receiving money to or from a country outside the United States, or transacting in a foreign currency.
    • If you use your credit card as the Payment Method for a Personal Payment, you may be charged a cash-advance fee by your credit card company.
    • In some instances, Personal Payment pricing may not be available. In these instances, all payments must be Purchase Payments.
    • Personal Payments may not be available on non-PayPal websites or other applications that offer you the ability to send a payment from your Account.
    • Personal Payments may not be sent to recipients in certain countries.
  3. For PayPal Business Payments, the PayPal Business Payment Fee is paid by the recipient unless it is disclosed to you before you send the payment that you, the sender, must pay this Fee.

8.2 Domestic Payments in U.S. Dollars. This applies when both the sender and recipient are in the United States, and the payment is in U.S. Dollars.

a.  Domestic Personal Payments in U.S. Dollars. Activity  Payment Method  Personal Payment Fee
Sending or receiving*Exclusively Balance or bank accountFree
Other, including a fully or partially funded payment
by credit or debit card, or PayPal Credit.
2.9% + $0.30 USD
*Sender generally determines whether the sender or recipient pays the Fee. See Section 8.1(b).

b.  Domestic Purchase Payments in U.S. Dollars.

Activity Purchase Payment Fee
Sending (buying)Free
Receiving (selling) Standard rate:2.9% + $0.30 USD
Merchant rates*:Monthly Sales Volume:

$0.01 - $3,000.00
$3,000.01 - $10,000.00
$10,000.01 - $100,000.00
Over $100,000.00
Fee:

2.9% + $0.30 USD
2.5% + $0.30 USD
2.2% + $0.30 USD
1.9% + $0.30 USD
Nonprofit rates**:  

Monthly Donation Volume:

$0.01 - $100,000.00
Over $100,000.00
Fee:

2.2% + $0.30
1.9% + $0.30

*To qualify for our Merchant rates you must submit a one-time application, have qualifying monthly sales volume, and have an Account in good standing.
** Nonprofit rates are only available for registered charities with 501(c)(3) status.

Login to Me Too

deegan87
Contributor
Contributor

Why did you post all that? I was only asking about a tiny portion of it, hoping to get a personable explanation, not have to stumble through erroneous data.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

The short answer...

A payment you receive in response to using the "Request Money" tab on the PayPal website will be classified as a Purchase Payment and will incur a payment receiving fee.

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

stealitall
New Community Member

Soon there will be yearly fees like a credit card. This is getting to the point almost makes no seens to use it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.