Why was I charged 1 dollar by Paypal?

Blazze
New Community Member

Why was I charged 1 dollar by paypal when I bought Farmcash on Facebooks game Farmtown. I always use a online credit card from gift2go.net. Gift2go.net showes me that paypal took a dollar when I bought farmcash. When I go to paypal and hit view details about this transaction...It does not show a fee. I checked the balance on the card and it is a dollar short and gift2go.net says that paypal took it. I want to know WHY???

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

Arthur_P
New Community Member

I have the same problem! And it charged me 5 times all for the same thing. I read around and I believe it charges your bank account $1.00 and waits for your bank to verify the information. (check to make sure its really your card.) Once it is the money is returned to your account. I don't know if that is true just what I have read. But for paypals sake it better be, or else they just lost a customer.

Here is one link where I found the information.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090710172740AA45zQt

-Arthur

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Everyone,

PayPal may charge a card a temporary $1.00 amount whenever card information is added, edited, updated, or changed.  This is an important security feature that is an industry standard for online processing because it allows us to verify that you are the account holder of the card and that the card information is correct.  This is commonly referred to as a "pre-authorization." 

However, this charge is only temporary and will never be permanently claimed by PayPal.  While each card issuer may vary, the $1.00 will be returned to your card balance.  It is not permanent. 

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

bmxkinkwhip360
New Community Member

yes but when will i get this dollar back i need it because my item i want to buy is 25 dollars and i only have 24 on my card i need it

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

@PayPal_Adrian wrote:

While each card issuer may vary, the $1.00 will be returned to your card balance.  It is not permanent. 

The release of the 1.00 is determined by the card company, not by PayPal. 

For example, PayPal offers it's own PayPal Business Debit Card - this card ties in directly to the PayPal account balance.  When we receive a $1.00 pre-authorization charge from a merchant, we release it after five days.

Your card issuer may vary.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Login to Me Too

eric1337
Contributor
Contributor

i got charged 2 dollers though will i get both of them back?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Two separate $1.00 charges?  Yes, same rules will still apply.  As soon as the card issuer chooses to relase them.  Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

miketorres
New Community Member

Hey Adrian I know this is kind of silly but I tried to confirm a card three times and I was pretty dumb and did it three times and got charged 1.95 every time and got different codes and I got one of the 1.95 with drawls sent back and I was wondering if the could get the other two lol please let me know

Login to Me Too

jont43
New Community Member

i did the same thing except only twice for $1.95 and i got a charge for $1 when will i get this money back????

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

miketorres,

If you only received one of the 1.95 charges credited back, you'll want to reach out to customer service via the "Contact Us" link so that they can manually issue the refund into your account.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.