Why do I have to pay when someone sends ME money?

zeptinune
Contributor
Contributor

I've been with Paypal for years, before it was even a part of Ebay...

I do lots of buying and selling on Ebay, mainly selling.

Ebay charges me to list items on Ebay..,

Ebay charges me a percentage on the item when it sells,

If the person sending me the payment for the item is 'Unverified' on ebay I have to pay AGAIN just to receieve the payment!

I've had it guys.. seriously, why do I, the seller get charged when someone sends me a payment because they haven't taken the time to verify their account or are unable to do so. What consitutes that paypal take MORE of my hard earned money just because someone else hasn't bothered to verify their account?

Why should people like me suffer for things we cant fix.. I cant put a 'I don't accept payments from Unverified Paypal users' because if someone who's unverified decides to buy my item anyway I'd have to deny the payment and relist the item.. relisting would cost me almost just as much as the amount you take from me in a 'receipt fee'...

Guys this isn't fair, really. You nail me 3 times if I want to sell on Ebay... THREE TIMES!!

1 For listing

1 When my item sells

1 If an when someone 'unverified' pays me via paypal

I'm going to start asking people nicely in my listings to NOT pay me via paypal and to do a bank transfer instead AT THEIR EXPENSE! Why should the honest seller who is trying to make a buck be set up by a bunch of thieves like paypal... why don't you charge the buyer 50c or something instead of taking from me? My item isn't worth anything after all these fees! I'd practically owe money instead of making any!

I've searched and searched over google for an answer to this question and there is nothing remotely like this anywhere. No one has complained, no one has asked why we get nailed 3 times for trying to sell on Ebay. I hate how you guys force me to accept paypal as a payment method...

This is so unfair. So from now on I'm going to ask nicely for people who aren't 'verfied' (what difference does it even make?) to not buy items from me if they want to be lazy. And two I'm happily going to expose my international bank account number to complete strangers so you cant make your billions in taxes off me. The fact that you're allowed to take so much money from me for no reason and others, and how you seem to have bribed every company on the planet to accept paypal is beyond me.. You've already probably made a few thousand just in fees off me, and I'll do my best to stop you further.

Thanks for nothing.

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

Espbruin
New Community Member

I thought there was a way to set you account so that anyone sending you a payment what would incur fees had to pay for the fees themselves. But I can't find this option anywhere. Does it exist or was I just imagining things?

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

PayPal fees are determined by the payment type - a Purchase Payment or a Personal Payment.

For Purchase Payments, the recipient of the payment will always pay the fee. A Purchase Payment involves buying and selling goods or services, and payments received when you send a "request money" using PayPal.

For Personal Payments, the fee, if any, is based on the Payment Method and the location of the sender and recipient. A Personal Payment involves sending money to and receiving money from friends and family without making a purchase.

The sender's verified or unverified account type has never influenced the payment receiving fee.

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

zeptinune
Contributor
Contributor

That's untrue as I've been told on the phone whilst speaking to a person from Paypal when I had to verify my account in accordance with EU law, that is how fees are calculated. How you explained everything is impossible to understand as well. I am talking about having to pay FEES for money that people send ME when THEY buy something I have sold on Ebay.

Such fees are absolute bull**bleep** and it should be completely illegal to tax a person 3 **bleep**ing times on money that isn't yours to tax just because you make it 'easy' to transfer money from one place or another. You are completely abusing your monopoly on internet banking!

I don't care if it has nothing to do with 'verified' or 'unverified' I'm talking about sometimes not getting fees on money that people send me when they buy something of mine on Ebay and sometimes getting a huge 'receipt fee' on money that people send me as a payment for an item they have bought on ebay. The way you are talking is that I am elligble for a THIRD darn fee whenever I sell anything on Ebay on top of the other 2 from Ebay. So, Ebay gives me 2 and Paypal gives me 1 which makes 3. Except that Ebay and Paypal are owned by the same Business Ebay Inc. so basically YOU people are taxing me THREE TIMES.

At least get rid of the receipt fee because you already nail me for ebay listing fees, as well as a percentage of what my item sells for in the first place! It makes it completely useless to sell an item that is worth under $10 on Ebay because you take FIFTEEN POINT TWO PERCENT (15.2%) or more, of my money!

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Ebay and paypal are two different services.

Using your logic if you go to Visa website, purchase something and use your  Visa credit card, visa should not charge you a service fee for using the card.

Login to Me Too

rogue_leader1
Contributor
Contributor

That's the lamest example ever.  Ebay owns paypal and they all but force you to accept paypal as a payment option, therefore FORCING US TO PAY YOUR RIDICULOUS FEES.

I can choose not to use my Visa card.   If you want to sell on Ebay YOU HAVE TO USE PAYPAL. 

Taxing us three separate times for each transaction ( AND THEN  KEEPING MY MONEY FOR 30 DAYS) is nothing more than a scam.  

Cant wait to be rid of you for good. 

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@rogue_leader1 wrote:

If you want to sell on Ebay YOU HAVE TO USE PAYPAL.

That is not correct... the eBay "Accepted Payments Policy" explains which payment services a seller can offer to accept...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

rogue_leader1
Contributor
Contributor

I hope you were trying to be funny. The very item you linked says you have to accept "electronic payment". Which is ridiculous to start, and who the **bleep** uses Moneybookers?? As I said you ALL BUT FORCE us to use paypal, and if you don't accept it your sales suffer. I'm done with EBay, and they can take the seller fees I owe them and sit on it. The whole system is a scheme. I sell a USED guitar, and some **bleep** complains about the condition and leaves me negative feedback, first in nearly a decade of selling, won't retract it, and he has no desire to talk about it because now I'm not allowed to leave him negative feedback! I hope you go outta business.

Login to Me Too

GeorgeF
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal charges a fee 2.9% +  $.30 per transaction.

Credit card companies do the same to merchants.

Some smaller Mom & Pop stores charge the customer the extra 3% to offset the credit processing fee.

Large companies just absorb the fees, part of doing business. 

Login to Me Too

roofd82
New Community Member

Hi,

I had friends send me money via paypal so I could set up a vegas package vacation.  I thought that if they sent me money via bank account it would be free, but I ended up getting charged a good amount for each friend's payment.  I wasn't making profit off this, nor was it a business transaction.  How come I got charged for this, and what should I have done to not get charged a fee?  Has Paypal refunded fees in the past for non-business related transactions?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.