Where does one find the exchange rates for foreign currency that Paypal uses?

BlueCheesehead
New Community Member

It appears that Paypal "earns" 3% on exchanging currency.  No where does it tell you they are doing that.

I cannot seem to find where Paypal will tell you upfront what the exchange rate will be.  It is only after you make the payment that they tell you what you just paid.  What am I missing?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

PayPal charges a 2.5% currency conversion fee... it's documented in Section 8.5 Additional Fees of PayPal's User Agreement.

The exchange rate applicable to your transaction is displayed on the "Review Payment" screen before you complete your payment.

Where can I find PayPal's currency exchange rates?

You can view the current exchange rate on your Manage Currencies page. Here's how:

1. Log in to your account.
  2. Click the My Account tab.
  3. Click Profile at the top of the page.
  4. Click Currency Balances under the Financial Information column.
  5. Enter the requested information and click Calculate.

Login to Me Too

wastueben
New Community Member

Thanks for the information.  Although I don't do many international transactions, this was driving me a little crazy.  Let's face it, everyone even banks skim a little off the exchange rates so I guess paypal shouldn't be expected to do any differently.

Login to Me Too

saywha
Contributor
Contributor

I just did the suggested conversion from dollars to euro for a currency conversion within my account.  They do not charge 2.5% for that transaction, do they?  (Should not have to pay that, as the fee is built in to the rate charged)

With the volume of business in PP, why can't they give better currency conversion rates?  Do they even beat the cash withdraw rates at a foreign ATM (seems they do not)?  And, shouldn't one expect PP to come close or even match rates at xe.com.  (Careful here; xe.com publishes the midmarket rate and claims the best rates, but they do make their money in the small difference compared with the midmarket rate.)

Login to Me Too

Laird

I was wondering the same thing but appreciated the reply someone made to your question. What I don't understand is if the rate of exchange according to Wall St. is $1.51 to the British pound, how can PayPal pay a rate of $1.46? Also, once the exchange has been made and the funds are in my PayPal account balance why does it take 3 days to transfer it to my bank...I thought it would be an instant transfer since the funds are in the PayPal account??? Any answers out there?

Login to Me Too

IIIWheelsIII
Contributor
Contributor

All bank with drawls take 3-5 business days when you withdrwal it from your paypal account back to your bank it says it prior to making the withdrawal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.