Question regarding fees

breemdog
New Community Member

How are paypal fees determined?

I received one dollar and paypal gets 33%..EBay gets 25% for a listing fee the .08% final value fee...That leaves me with 36cents....to mail a 44 cent letter  meaning I lost .08 cents....The percentage is not always consistent with paypal...whats the deal?

Just wondering even though I am doing this for fun,  i don't want to spend more money to sell something than I make...it would be cheaper to just give it away although not as fun....Please somebody help me understand the deal

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

tiburonem

2.9 % of trans if it is a credit card it is 0.30 and the 2.9% fee

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jason
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi breemdog-

There are a couple of factors at play with your question here, one related to PayPal and one to your overall business model.

Let's address the PayPal one first:  PayPal's fees are consistent per transaction, although slightly higher for a payment sent from another country.  And, your fees can go lower with volume if you apply for PayPal's Merchant Rate after reaching a volume of $3K or more per month.  More info about these things can be found in our Fees link.

Additionally, if your transactions are always going to be in this price range, PayPal does offer a different fee structure for Micropayment accounts.  You can't toggle between the fee structures on the same account, so you'd have to have a separate account for those payments.  The micropayment account fee structure is 5% + 5 cents per transaction, and you can find out more about that here: https://micropayments.paypal-labs.com/

The second aspect of your question is about your fees exceeding your profits.  While it's not a PayPal question, have you considered changing your pricing structure?  Are similar or identical items on eBay selling for the same price you're offering?  eBay does offer some research tools like Completed Listing searches to show what items are selling for. 

This may be an ideal question to ask of your peers here in the Help Forum as its own thread...there may not be a single right answer for how to help lower your costs and maximize your profits, but I'm sure there are others who may have thoughts on selling low dollar-amount items.

Thanks for stopping by the Community Help Forum.

PayPal Jason

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.