Payment was refunded but fee wasn't

ajtn32
New Community Member

I had a payment that needed to be refunded and the account says in plain english that when you refund a payment they will refund the fees charged.
Refunding the payment should have put my account at zero but now I have a -.30 in my account. The fee charged was $6.54 but they only refunded $6.24. Why was the whole fee not refunded?  I get that it's only .30 but that is money that doesn't belong to PayPal and I don't feel its right to not refund the whole fee.   Why should they make money when I don't?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

nambinhvu
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same exact problem as you.  I'm going to call them and see what's going on.  Someone sent a payment of $6 to me instead of doing the partial refund through the resolution center.  I was thinking, I'll just refund that and then do it through the resolution center, but nope paypal kept 30 cents from me and 17 cents from the seller...what's going on...hopefully I can have the fees waived.

Login to Me Too

nambinhvu
Contributor
Contributor

I called them and they said the fees weren't refundable and that there's a 30 cent fee everytime you refund money...that is bs...That means the seller lost money the first time for sending it as a payment, then I lost 30 cents for refunding the payment, and then the seller lost another 30 cents for refunding through the resolution center...the seller sent me the money and I noticed there was a fee and that I didn't get the full $6, so I returned it and had the refund made through the resolution center, which gave me the full amount, but because of the refund fee from earlier I was out 30 cents...Through the resolution center there was no fee...The next time I get one of paypals survey things I'mma say that paypal takes too much money that they shouldn't be taking...and that I do not recommend it to friends and family...I can't believe this...I know it's less than a dollar, but this isn't and won't be the first time it happened...and it adds up...Good job paypal you have just gained another **bleep** off customer.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

Effective August 10, 2010, PayPal stopped refunding the fixed fee (30 cent) portion of the payment fee... here's the text from the Policy Update...

Amendment to the PayPal User Agreement
Effective Date: Aug 10, 2010

Refund Fee.  Section 8.5 (Additional Fees) is amended to add a new refund fee. If you refund a Purchase Payment, we will retain the Fixed Fee portion of the Purchase Payment Fee. The buyer’s Account will be credited with the full Purchase Payment amount and the Fixed Fee portion of the Purchase Payment Fee will be deducted from your Account in addition to the amount of the refunded payment. The Fixed Fee will depend on the currency of the Purchase Payment and is listed in 8.4(c).

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&...

Login to Me Too

nambinhvu
Contributor
Contributor

Only problem was, he was refunding me the money, but sent it as a payment.  He and I were both charged a fee, so I sent the money back and had him do it through the resolution center thing.  PayPal took 30 cents from me and I'm sure they kept money from him for sending it as a payment which is bs...if the seller sent it through the resolution center in the beginning, neither of us would have had to pay those fees...because of that mistake we both were charged nonrefundable fees...even after canceling it and doing it the right way... The thing I'm angry about is I was charged a fee when I wasn't supposed to be charged a fee in the first place...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.