PAYPAL FEES and WHEN THEY ARE CHARGED...PLEASE HELP

robkovo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Users and Administrators,

I see ALOT of people voicing their concerns with the multitude of fees associated with eBay and PayPal.  Here's my question?

I have received 5 payments through PayPal from eBay sales.  In each of these sales, under details, It shows (for example):

Item Total: $8.99

Shipping: $2.00

Total Amount: $10.99

Fee Amount: $0.00

Net Amount: $10.99

Date: Mar. 2, 2011

Time: 06:06:46 EST

and at the botttom it reads:

Payment Type: INSTANT

My question(s) is (are):  Where it says Fees, is that where PayPal fees (the 2.9% + $0.30) are assessed (if any)? and since it says $0.00, will there be fees charged to me at a later date?  I just want to know what to expect.  Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

I am currently under the impression that if there were fees to be charged for the transaction, they would be displayed and deducted in each statement.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Andy

robkovo- You're exactly correct. If the fees aren't assessed up front, they won't be assessed later on.  There are a few cases where fees aren't charged, but as this would involve how your buyers' decide to make their payment, we really can't discuss what they're doing.  You can go to our fees section to review further if you'd like.

Andy

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

PayPal_Andy

robkovo- You're exactly correct. If the fees aren't assessed up front, they won't be assessed later on.  There are a few cases where fees aren't charged, but as this would involve how your buyers' decide to make their payment, we really can't discuss what they're doing.  You can go to our fees section to review further if you'd like.

Andy

Login to Me Too

robkovo
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much!  That is helpful information. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to owe any fees brfore I go transferring or using any of the money in my PayPal Account.  You have been a great help!  Thanks again!

Login to Me Too

JB20WVL
Contributor
Contributor

If I want to make a large transfer (say, $10,000) from my US PayPal account to a friend's PayPal account in Canada, how can I tell in advance: (1) how much the friend will recieve in Canadian dollars, (b) what exchange rate is used, and (c) what all the fees and costs are?  Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@JB20WVL wrote:

If I want to make a large transfer (say, $10,000) from my US PayPal account to a friend's PayPal account in Canada, how can I tell in advance: (1) how much the friend will recieve in Canadian dollars, (b) what exchange rate is used, and (c) what all the fees and costs are?  Thanks.

Hi JB20WVL;

Hi. May I ask a few clarifying questions to help answer your questions? This is just a money transfer, not a transaction? And you want to make an international money transaction using PayPal?

Hm. Well, the answer would depend on the answers you give - this could be a tricky spot. A little help on clearing up the confusion, and I'm sure someone could help you out with this!

Best of luck;

Raven

Login to Me Too

JB20WVL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Raven.  To answer your questions:

Yes, this is a money transfer (not a transaction).

Yes, it is international - from the US to Canada.

Yes, I want to use PayPal.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@JB20WVL wrote:

Hi Raven.  To answer your questions:

Yes, this is a money transfer (not a transaction).

Yes, it is international - from the US to Canada.

Yes, I want to use PayPal.

Thanks.

Hi JB20WVL;

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that amount is over the personal banking limit of funds to transfer at one time (at least it was once upon a time, right after 9/11; things may have loosened up since then). Especially across Inernational borders. It does (I believe, and again, I'm not 100% sure, I'm checking), raise flags about that kinda cash floating around. But if that *is* still the case, even if PayPal is willing, I don't think your bank would let you.

Secondly; how recent is your account with PayPal? That kind of financial transaction is going to be flagged - period. PayPal may put a hold on it until funds are verified from your bank - a couple of days or so? If you're a new member, it may toss up even more flags.

Thirdly, the rate of exchange is - wow, that's a good question. I'm not sure if that would be taken from your bank, PayPal, or the receiving bank. I suppose it may depend on whether or not the funds are held? Let me see if I can find anything in the PayPal lit...

Hm, it says here:

How Much Does It Cost to Send Money to Other Countries?

You may be surprised how low our international money transfer fees are. Fees are based on recipient’s country, whether you fund the transfer with your bank account or a credit card, and currency. After you log in, you can choose whether you or the recipient covers any fees. Click to use our fee calculator.

There's a page right here with many of the answers you're looking for:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=By__EexTbRL33yhcCA2niCvag0wkxYuYBiQhUMxN0cJ9...

I would try to plug that high-dollar amount in and see if it raises any flags, and then maybe, to be sure, I would call Customer Service just to clear it with them and make doubly certain nothing goes wrong. You don't want anything to go wrong, right?

I hope that helps!!

Raven

Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

Oh hey - I forgot to say - the question about fees being assessed are right there on that page for you; and you can choose whther you or the recipient are charged the fees. And you can see what the fees are right up front with that handly little tool.

Okay, good luck!

Raven

Login to Me Too

Sellingnow1982
Contributor
Contributor

If you are selling they take the fees out instanly click on details and it will show you that you had a payment of $10.99 it would charge you 62 cents in fees and give you a net payment of $10.37.  If you are paying the money to somebody else it will say fees of zero because the seller pays the fees.

Ebay fees are charged to your ebay account and are seperate.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.