New to PayPal worried about scam

JBWar
Contributor
Contributor

I have listed some furniture on Craigs list.  Two of the responses I got were very similar in that they both are unavailble because of work and want to make the purchase through PayPal and then have some movers come get the furniture.  I am concerned that they are so similar and wonder how that works for payment.  At first I thought no big deal, I would have the money before they pick up the furniture, but the more I read on this community forum, it sounds like there would be a hold on the money and they would get the furniture before I get the money.  And then what if there is a charge back or some other scam.  I'm not really sure if I should go with either of these offers.  Any ideas?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

hollyanna
New Community Member

I have sold several things on Craigs LIst  with no problems.  I have had quite a few emails with  offers similar to yours.  If you deal with local people, you shouldn't have a problem.   The bogus offers that  have  a mover to pick up an item are similar; these people must have the same handbook! Usually the "buyer" is out of the country and wants to give you more money than you have asked for; then he or she wants a refund for the balance.  I simply ignore these people. Good luck and please be careful!

Login to Me Too

StarPower
Contributor
Contributor

Nigerians do this type of activity. One thing I noticed they are attempting to do is send you a check, which could be a fraudulent check  and request a certain amount back. You might laugh, but people do fall for this and end up wiring money to them (western union) and get ripped. Craiglist has become a hot bed for rippers.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.