Kudos: 0
Accepted Solutions: 0

Czech Republic -> USA Individual Payment Fees

I'd like to clarify the fees charged on international payments.

Someone in the Czech Republic sent me US$50, and PayPal's fees took it down to US$47.75, working out to a total fee amount of 4.5%.

By my understanding of PayPal's fee structure, I should be charged a $0.30 flat fee plus 1.0% for a cross-border transaction, so the fee was a lot more than I was expecting.

This is a transfer between individuals, or at least it should be. I will ask him if he used the "Personal" type instead of "Purchase", but for now I'll assume it was a Personal transaction.

How should my contact send me money so we are both charged a minimum of fees?

Additional information: The email address I use ends in .es even though I am in the US; would that affect anything?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
sandypurins Volunteer Advisor
Volunteer Advisor
Kudos: 564
Accepted Solutions: 154

Re: Czech Republic -> USA Individual Payment Fees

For Personal Payments, the fee depends on the Payment Method (credit/debit card, PayPal balance, bank account) used. Additional fees apply if you are sending or receiving money to or from a country outside the United States, or transacting in a foreign currency.

The "Fees" section of PayPal's User Agreement has all the details...

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&...

According to the "Fees" section, the International Personal Payments charge for a credit/debit card funded payment from the Czech Republic would be 3.9% plus 30 cents...

$50.00 - 47.75 = $2.25 fee charged

$50.00 x 3.9% = $1.95 plus 30 cents = $2.25

0 Kudos
Announcements
If you are using Internet Explorer 8 take note. We’ll upgrade our communities in July and if you are using IE8 you won’t have a fully functional experience. Please upgrade your browser to Internet Explorer 9, 10 or 11. There will be no changes to your community experience if you are using IE 9, 10, 11, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.
Welcome, guest